Question: What could be causing me to get dizzy and my eye to Twitch?

eembam - Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:54 pm

I was wondering if you could help me out with this problem. For the past three months I have been dizzy off and on. I went to the doctor and he said it was inter ear. He gave me meds but they did not work . It has gotten worse and now my left eye keeps twitching. I do not know if this has anything to do with this but I was in a major car accident in Jan and had to get PT done three times a week for 8 eight weeks on my neck, I would appericate any help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:37 pm

User avatar Hello -- Your problem may well be inner-ear related, in which case by now you should be seen by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist. However, you could be suffering from simple benign positional vertigo (BPV) or even, in light of your neck injury, from what's known as cervical vertigo. (Neither vertigo type is dangerous, but can be pretty annoying and disruptive of activities). The eye twitch could be related, especially if this is in fact inner ear-related (the inner ear and eyes work in unison to help maintain balance, and constant disequilibrium can cause the muscles around the eye to fatigue and start twitching). Best way to clarify this is by proper testing, first by seeing an ENT doctor and, if he should find nothing, then on to a neurologist for an electronystagmogram (really interesting test that takes about an hour, non-invasive, but the goal is to make you dizzy). One of these two will likely uncover the cause of your dizziness, even if it winds up being cervical vertigo, which is the least likely of the three possible causes.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed, and update us if you learn anything new or if anything should change. Good luck to you.

|