News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling in feet & hands, weak arms and legs, fatigue

busymum - Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:46 am

Hi - I'm concerned about my mum, 63. Heavy smoker since age 15, has over the last few weeks had tingling (like pins and needles) in her foot, then both feet. Over the last week she now has this in her hands, her legs and arms feel heavy (she feels like she couldn't hang the washing out) and is very tired and sleeps in the afternoon. This is not like her at all. Her glucose level was raised (we don't know yet by how much) but she had just been eating a peppermint. She doesn't have a thirst nor is loosing lots of weight (although she is on a sensible eating plan and is loosing weight steadily or not at all, if she doesn't stick to it). Her hands and feet feel warm, so there is circulation to her extremities. Can you advise me - she is, of course, going to the doctor to get more bloods done, but it may help if we could get an understanding of what to look for? She was a nursing sister herself for many years (and a very good, old-fashioned one!)
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 am

User avatar Hello,The causes of tingling and numbness of hands and feet would include a diabetic neuropathy,pernicious anaemia,multiple sclerosis,alcohol tobacco,and lead induced toxic neuropathies.The red flag symptoms would include urinary or bowel disturbance or problems relating to consciousness.Your mother may need some investigations like CBC,blood sugar,thyroid status,and screening for heavy metals.With a possible diagnosis of B12 deficiency she may be put on a course of B Vitamins.Do keep me informed.Ok?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here