News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Crushed Nerve in Finger?

cyclops - Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am

Hi

3 days ago at a childs indoor play centre I caught my right index finger on some overhead 'cargo' netting. Pretty much 2 of my fingers took all of my weight and ever since then, my right index finger has been numb. I think the netting impact was on the inside of the joint of my finger.

If I squeeze at the base of the finger, I get a pins and needles sensation otherwise its numb all round the outside and towards the top. Positive its not broken and I can move it ok. No bleeding or bruising either.

What have I done and will it just heal by itself ? Its started to worry me as its been 3 days now.

I'm 35 and good health with no previous.

Thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 pm

User avatar Hi,
Nerve injuries are basically of 3 types. 'Neurapraxia', 'axonotmesis' and 'neurotmesis' .

'Neurapraxia',is one in which there is no anatomical interruption to the nerve but, only a funtional impairment(temporary).

''axonotmesis' is one in which the 'axon cylinders' of the nerve are broken but, the myeline sheath remains intact.This also eventually recovers but recovery may relatively prolonged.

'neurotmesis' is one in which the nerve itself is completely cut off.This is the most serious of the nerve injuries.

It is likely that you suffered either an 'axonotmesis'(at worst) or a 'neuropraxia'(at best).
However, an early consultation with your doctor would be the best course of action.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here