Question: Crushed Nerve in Finger?

cyclops - Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am

Hi

3 days ago at a childs indoor play centre I caught my right index finger on some overhead 'cargo' netting. Pretty much 2 of my fingers took all of my weight and ever since then, my right index finger has been numb. I think the netting impact was on the inside of the joint of my finger.

If I squeeze at the base of the finger, I get a pins and needles sensation otherwise its numb all round the outside and towards the top. Positive its not broken and I can move it ok. No bleeding or bruising either.

What have I done and will it just heal by itself ? Its started to worry me as its been 3 days now.

I'm 35 and good health with no previous.

Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Nerve injuries are basically of 3 types. 'Neurapraxia', 'axonotmesis' and 'neurotmesis' .

'Neurapraxia',is one in which there is no anatomical interruption to the nerve but, only a funtional impairment(temporary).

''axonotmesis' is one in which the 'axon cylinders' of the nerve are broken but, the myeline sheath remains intact.This also eventually recovers but recovery may relatively prolonged.

'neurotmesis' is one in which the nerve itself is completely cut off.This is the most serious of the nerve injuries.

It is likely that you suffered either an 'axonotmesis'(at worst) or a 'neuropraxia'(at best).
However, an early consultation with your doctor would be the best course of action.

|