Question: Facial Hematoma

JDShor - Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 pm

14 days ago I got beat up. I lost consciousness for about 2 minutes and still can't remember what happened exactly. I must add that I was drunk at the time and am aware that that could be the cause for my not remembering. I received a black eye, blood in the eye, and severe swelling on my cheek. I was in severe pain and experienced blurry vision in the affected eye for 2 days. Now 14 days later I am pain free, no headaches, perfect vision and the black eye and blood in the eye is dissipating. However, I still have a golf ball sized lump on my cheek that is hard to the touch. I haven't seen a reduction in size since the incident. The only change occurred about 2 days ago when the lower third of the bump developed a bruise. Is it normal for this bump to still be here after 2 weeks without showing signs of improvement? Thanks for your time.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Your description of the aftermath of the fall suggests a fairly severe mid- facial trauma.
Have you been X-Rayed after this incident? Victims of such severe injuries may have sustained fractures of the maxilla or even the orbit which can result in visual disturbances.

Fracture of the maxilla needs to be excluded in your case.The hematoma may be overlying the fracture and potential for onset of secondary infection in the hematoma exists.Therefore,i urge you to consult your doctor urgently to sort this out.

|