Question: chestpain after epileptic fit, is that normal??

trs1 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 am

a few weeks ago on me holiday in nepal i had a epileptic fit in bed, appart from the normal tiredness and confussion you have after no major things, but i have a wierd pain on the left side of my chest sinds then, and been having light to severe headaches to, i like to know if that is something to be worried about or should i go and see a doctor on my return home strait away??? The pain on the side of my chest is worse in the evening and when i try to get up out of bed like something is pushing on something.

thanxs for your help.

ben

(if i am in wrong forum can somebody let me know )
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 am

You have not mentioned if you are a known epileptic, what type of epilepsy you suffer from and whether you are on any anti-epileptic drugs.

Ribs and other bones are known to fracture during an epileptic fit.This could be as a result of the muscle contractions or as a result of falls during the episode.

Also well known is the fact that certain anti-epileptic drugs (for example, phenytoin) can cause osteoporosis/osteomalacia and can cause the bones to fracture easily.

There is another proposed mechanism by which anti-epileptic drugs may predispose to fractures-- neurotoxicity of these drugs may result in unsteadiness and clumsiness and result in accidental falls resulting in fractures.

I suggest you should consult a doctor to exclude the possibility of fractured ribs. Best wishes!

|