News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Something Popped inside of head above ear

queenslaby1 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm

I am a 40 year old male. In 2002 while lifting a very heavy landscaping object (about 300 lbs) something popped above one ear, ever since I get sporatic severe headaches (been told they are not migraines) they last about 4 days, go away, and for no apparent reason reoccur, but for about 6 months now the onset starts behind the opposite ear. I have consulted doctors, chiropractors, PT, & accupuncture. Have had Brain scans, MRI, Ultra sounds. I do get "some" relief if I have a very deep muscle massage on the neck. I do have bone spurs of a couple of cervical vertebre, but been told this is not the cause either. What test/s should I be asking for? I have never been given a diagnosis, or permanent results.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:39 am

User avatar Hi,
I must confess that i am unable to reach any firm diagnosis from the description of your symptoms.However, i will mention some possibilities.

This could be a type of "Pulsatile Tinnitus" of which there are many types.

"Pulsatile Tinnitus", a pulsatile sound in the ear (sometimes may be described by some as 'popping sounds' or 'thumping' noises), which are thought to be mostly vascular in origin(an idiopathic variety also exists) and which are transmitted to the cochlea via the skull bones(and in some of the sub-types,transmitted pulsations via the CSF(cerebro spinal fluid).

It could be arterial or venous in origin.
Both increased blood flow and stenosis of the arteries(atherosclerotic,
fibromuscular dysplasias, aneurysms and dissecting aneurysms) can cause this condition.
The venous cause is often a dural vein thrombosis.Apart from these, AV(arterio venous)malformations also implicated.
Obesity & female sex increase the risk.This condition can be associated with neck pain, head ache and papilledema(on fundoscopy).Increased ICP(intra cranial pressure) are usually seen.

CT and MRI are said to be frequently normal.

I do not know if you had undergone an ENT check.

Diagnosis involves a clinical evaluation (including auscultation around the ear for 'Bruits'), audiologic and electrophysiologic testing as well as metabolic workup, Duplex carotid ultrasound,and MR angiography(as needed).
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here