Question: Grand mal seizures and feeling strange afterwards.

Yogaguy - Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi. I'm a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed in 2006 with having seizure-like episodes by a neurologist. Since 2006 I've had a total of about 10 grand mal seizures. I had two in 2006 spaced apart by about 2 months. The doctors did all the typical scans and blood tests to try finding reason why. I had MRI's; MRA's; nuclear scan; EEG; video EEG; and various blood tests. No reason was found for them, which in one sense I was told was a "good" thing. But it still would be nice to stop them if I could. I have no history in my family of them, and the only head injury I can think of is a car accident I was in in December of 2001. My car was hit from the front side and the hit spun my car to the side. My head hit the car door from the back corner of my head, and aside from being stunned for a little bit and a little dazed with some ringing in my left ear I was ok. I wasn't knocked unconscious or anything. But that happened almost 4 1/2 years before the seizures started...so I'm not sure if they'd start that late from something liek this? I had a "cluster" a grand mal seizures two weeks ago today (10/21/09). I had them about 6 to 7 hours apart, for a total of three grand mals on one day. My mom found me for the first one on the sofa at about 3:00 a.m. She then stayed with me and said she helped me to my bed then, and then heard me about 10:30 a.m. in my bedroom having the 2nd one. She stayed with me until I was fine again. I then had the 3rd one at about 5:30 p.m. in a restaurant. I went to the washroom because I "sensed" it coming on...(When I get the seizures I seem to have about 10 seconds before I pass out and go into one of them. These early warning signs are a light-headedness that gets stronger and stronger, and my vision starts to get fuzzy before I pass out). Ever since coming out of these lastest seizures though I seem to feel "not all here yet?" I still like I have something wrapped around my head, and I feel like I'm not as "aware" as I could be...I've told my doctor about this and he didn't really know what it could be. He did a new MRI with contrast, because I feared some kind of brain damage, but it came back normal. He also did a CBC and checked my seizure medicine levels. The blood tests came back fine, but my monocyte level was a bit high, it was a 9.0 and three days later it was 11.1. So I'm not sure what they could mean? The doctor said it wasn't anything important, but I checked for myself and I learned that a high monocyte level could mean some kind of bacterial infection. I was worried that maybe I had some type of brain infection or something after reading this about monocytes?? My doctor told me no though because the MRI came back fine. Could someone explain why I may still be feeling like I'm not "all here" still? When I go walking the dogs in the park and I'm looking around I feel as if I'm not fully "open" in the head...like I'm not fully experiencing everything like I used to. Like I'm kinda in a daydream...I know I didn't feel this way "before" these three seizures. Could something have happened that's possibly "not" showing up on the MRI??? Thank-you. Sincerely, Randy
 Linda Shaw - Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 am

Hi Yogaguy,
I bet this is frustrating for you. I do have one question. Did they capture a seizure-like event when you were having the video EEG?

|