News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Nystagmus and Neurological Symtoms

bremarie - Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Hey There,

Quick question to make a long story short. I've been seeing a neurologist for about 5 months who has yet to figure out why I am presenting with Ataxia, Migraines, and Nystagmus since 2007. I didn't worry much about it until it started being a huge problem in 2009. The nystagmus is maybe in between a pendular and a jerk, always horizontal, and fixation on an object makes the nystagmus dampen. Opthalmologist says it most likely is MS and sent me to neurology, but no one can be definitive. I've had an MRI (no visible lesions, although it wasn't the best MRI quality), BAER (normal), ENG (normal, so it's not inner ear related), EEG (normal), and Paraneoplastic blood testing (normal). The nystagmus doesn't go away, and I'm seeing things move back and forth as well basically all the time. I'm having a lumbar puncture this Thursday to look for MS or some sort of brain pressure thing.

First off, what could this nystagmus be... and also who should I see to look into this? Would there be any other specialty aside from neurology that could help me out in discerning what this is?

Thanks a bunch!
 bremarie - Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Update:
Since I last posted, I had my lumbar puncture. I was told by the radiologist that did the procedure that my CSF pressure was 29 (?) which was higher than normal, however, in talking with my neurologist, he says that's fine and not causing any of my symptoms... but if it says abnormal and he's just denying it, could that cause nystagmus and the other symptoms I'd mentioned?

Thanks again for help in advance. :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here