Question: my jaw is numb on one side,its not severe but im only 21

happilyengaged - Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 am

i know my surroundings.im not diorriented or anything like that so its not a stroke is it? what could be wrong with me?i cant go to a doctor right now cause no insurrance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am

I assume that by 'jaw', you mean the lower jaw.

The skin in that area is supplied by the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve 5)- more specifically, the inferior alveolar nerve, which is a branch of the mandibular division of the trigeminal nerve.

There are some well known causes for for numbness over one side of the lower jaw are those related to dental surgery, injury to the inferior alveolar nerve during many other surgical procedures and also in relation to trrauma(fractures of the body of the mandible).

The inferior alveolar nerve is a pure sensory nerve. Therfore, any involvement of this nerve will result in a pure sensory neuropathy.

There are some less well known causes as well, some of which are,

- Numb Chin Syndrome (NCS): chin numbness usually caused by malignant infiltration of the inferior alveolar nerve sheath or compression of the nerve by jaw metastases from primary malignant tumors.

- Localized hypertrophic neuropathy involving the inferior alveolar nerve: is a rare disorder of unknown etiology that produces a slowly progressive painless focal lesion of a peripheral nerve. When tis occurs in the mandibular canal, an entrapment neuropathy results.

- solitary neurofibromas of the inferior alveolar nerve in the alveolar canal have been reported. These may be related to the neurofibromatosis, more commonly in Neurofibromatosis (NF) Type 1 than in Type 2. They are capable of causing pressure and resulting in numbness over the distribution of the nerve.

- Widening of the inferior alveolar (mandibular) canal is a rare radiological finding. It is most often associated with neurofibromatosis. These patients may present with numbness.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:23 pm

User avatar Hello,In the absence of other features you may be likely having a neuropathy of the nerve supplying the chin that is the inferior alveolar nerve.This is nothing to do with a stroke.May be you can try a course of oral B Vitamins prescribed by your family doctor.If the numbness persists do get evaluated as Dr.Aroon kamath has sugessted.But in all likelyhood it should settle soon.

|