News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: my jaw is numb on one side,its not severe but im only 21

happilyengaged - Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 am

i know my surroundings.im not diorriented or anything like that so its not a stroke is it? what could be wrong with me?i cant go to a doctor right now cause no insurrance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am

User avatar Hi,
I assume that by 'jaw', you mean the lower jaw.

The skin in that area is supplied by the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve 5)- more specifically, the inferior alveolar nerve, which is a branch of the mandibular division of the trigeminal nerve.

There are some well known causes for for numbness over one side of the lower jaw are those related to dental surgery, injury to the inferior alveolar nerve during many other surgical procedures and also in relation to trrauma(fractures of the body of the mandible).

The inferior alveolar nerve is a pure sensory nerve. Therfore, any involvement of this nerve will result in a pure sensory neuropathy.

There are some less well known causes as well, some of which are,

- Numb Chin Syndrome (NCS): chin numbness usually caused by malignant infiltration of the inferior alveolar nerve sheath or compression of the nerve by jaw metastases from primary malignant tumors.

- Localized hypertrophic neuropathy involving the inferior alveolar nerve: is a rare disorder of unknown etiology that produces a slowly progressive painless focal lesion of a peripheral nerve. When tis occurs in the mandibular canal, an entrapment neuropathy results.

- solitary neurofibromas of the inferior alveolar nerve in the alveolar canal have been reported. These may be related to the neurofibromatosis, more commonly in Neurofibromatosis (NF) Type 1 than in Type 2. They are capable of causing pressure and resulting in numbness over the distribution of the nerve.

- Widening of the inferior alveolar (mandibular) canal is a rare radiological finding. It is most often associated with neurofibromatosis. These patients may present with numbness.
Best wishes!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:23 pm

User avatar Hello,In the absence of other features you may be likely having a neuropathy of the nerve supplying the chin that is the inferior alveolar nerve.This is nothing to do with a stroke.May be you can try a course of oral B Vitamins prescribed by your family doctor.If the numbness persists do get evaluated as Dr.Aroon kamath has sugessted.But in all likelyhood it should settle soon.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here