Question: Pudendal nerve damage by prostate gland

earthman74 - Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 am

Is there a pudendal nerve on each side (left and right) of the prostate gland? I know there's a left pudendal nerve and a right one but wonder if these are found on each lateral side of the prostate. [I don't know if "lateral" is correct. I don't know anatomy and think that the pudendal nerve probably is on the left and on the right side of the prostate.] If there is a branch of the pudendal nerve on each side of the prostate, does that branch also control bladder function?

Also, if there is a left and right pudendal nerve on each side of the prostate, if one of these two is damaged and is useless, will the other one *if undamaged and healthy* continue to allow the man to have normal or partial bladder and bowels functioning? And how does a single (not both nerves) damaged pudendal nerve by the prostate affect erection and ability to ejaculate? If only one pudendal nerve branch on 1 side of the penis is damaged and the other healthy and normal, will the man have trouble keeping an erection and achieving ejaculation?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 am

Of course there are two pudendal nerves- the right and left. There are presently suspicions that pudendal innervation might be asymmetric.

Differences in the left and right pudendal nerve terminal motor latencies have been observed in patients with pelvic floor disorders.

In some cases of unilateral pudendal nerve damage, absence of anal external sphincter dysfunction and preservation of anal continence has been observed. Differences in the left and right pudendal nerve terminal arborization and functional asymmetry is postulated by some studies to explain this.

I am not aware of any similar studies regarding ejaculation.

|