Question: My legs fall asleep while walking.

BlackCloud - Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:08 pm

I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice.
About 4 years ago i started having pain in my left hip and sometimes my right hip when i walked or stood for a long period of time. I was dealing with the pain and able to go to work but noticed that it was gradually getting worse. I was also battling frequent periods of gout even while taking medications to prevent and treat it. I spent thousands of dollars on chiropractors hoping one of them might be able to help me, but none of them did.
Sometime around early march of this year I started having lower back pain and pain in one or both of my legs. The pain was so severe that It became a challenge to walk at all.
Gradually I started having other symptoms as well. One or both of my legs would go numb when i was standing and walking causing me to fall on numerous occasions.
I went to see my family Doctor who put me on numerous medications that didn't work and sent me to physical therapy. I was released from physical therapy after 4 weeks because the therapist felt i was getting worse instead of better.
Next my family Doctor sent me to a pain management clinic where i recieved a pain block shot. That didn't help either.
Next I went to a neurosergon and I am still under his care. I've had a lot of test done including 2 MRI's , different blood work, some sort of tests where they did a study of the nerves in my hips ,legs and back. Many x-ray's and a malogram(?).
The only thing anyone can come up with is that i have Degerative Disk Disease. According to my doctor this would not cause my legs to fall asleep while walking and standing, nor would it cause the pain i complain of.
My latest symptom is my right foot burns constantly. I've done everything i can think of from putting ice packs on it to hanging my foot off of the bed at night in hopes of getting some sleep. I have been put on doctors leave from work since mid march. I can walk about 20 feet by myself before i need assistance from a cane or walker or wheelchair.
I'm 41 years of age and am not overweight. I have been in generally good health my whole life. If anyone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:27 am

User avatar Dear BlackCloud,
These symptoms goes more with a condition known as spinal stenosis (which can be caused by dgenerative discs). The spinal canal, which contains and protects the spinal cord and nerve roots, narrows and pinches the spinal cord and nerves resulting in low back pain as well as pain in the legs. Stenosis may pinch the nerves that control muscle power and sensation in the legs.
First take all imaging studies you have done (and allother investoigations) and ask for orthopaedic evaluation. Orthopaedic surgeon can help in detemining the possible cause and if there is any need for surgical interference to relive the nerve compression which is for sure there.
If your studies have been done long time ago and were negative you have to repeat.
second i would like you also to be checked by a vascular surgeon to exclude any vascular insuffuciency that might cause similar symptoms.
Good luck

|