News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: porencephalic cyst

peacemaker - Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:44 am

ive been getting headaches now for 5 to 6 months non stop so i went to my doctors who booked me in to have an mri scan and its came back that i have porencephalic cyst i was booked in to see neurologist and he didnt really tell me much all he said was that the headaches that im getting has nothing to do with the cyst i find it hard to believe because ive never suffered from headaches before .the headaches that im getting is pressure sharp pains stabbing pains swollen eye heavy head . the doctor has now prescribed me amitriptyline to help with the headaches im not sure if these are going to help me .please can someone tell me more about my problem
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 am

User avatar Hi,
Porencephalic cysts are cysts within the cerebral hemispheres lined by white matter of the brain.
These can be
- congenital or
- aquired.
Postnatally aquired cysts may be due to a number of causes including
- intra-cerebral hemorrhages &
- traumatic brain injuries.
Size can vary considerably as well.Usually they communicate with the ventricular system.

Certain other cysts (arachnoid cyst, hydatid cyst, gliosis or
cystic brain tumours) may at times be mistaken for Porencephalic cysts.

Frontal 'arachnoid cysts' have been known to be associated with depression. Arachnoid cysts on the left temporal lobe have been associated with psychosis.Treatment for arachnoid cysts is needed only when they are symptomatic.Arachnoid cysts do not communicate with the ventricular system.

The nature of the cyst seen in your MRI scan has to be conclusively confirmed before management options are considered.
Best wishes!
 peacemaker - Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:49 pm

hi
thank you for your reply .would u beable to tell me weather the side affects of these porencephalic cyst are headaches and sometimes swelling around the right eye.
thanks again for your help

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here