News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Severe Juvenile Headaches what can be done?

SgtSavage - Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Situation:
My roommates 13 year old son has been suffering from severe headaches for the last 6 months, to the point of tears (she says he has screamed a few times at night).

Conditions:
Her husband pasted away a few years back due to cancer which spread to his brain. Her major concern is her son might have cancer now, as a MD told her it (being cancer) can be passed down from generation to generation.

Questions:
1) She wants to get an MRI done, the time frame they are giving her ( roughly 4-5 months) is not to her liking, is their anything she can do to expedite the time frame they are giving her? *Her main through is she just wants to either strike cancer off the list of possibilitys or start treatment NOW*

2) Are their any really good over the counter meds that could help more then ibprofen, asprin, ect ( the normal head ache stuff) or vitamins/supplements that might help lessen his headaches?

3) I know this is a horrid question because the list is probably to long.. but besides cancer and migraines what else could this be?

I appreciate any time put in this, I am not looking for a magic pill, just more of some silver lining to show her to help support her and her son alittle peace at mind.

Sgt J.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 am

User avatar Hello,Before anything let me tell you the RedFlag Symptoms relating to headache that needs scrutiny.
A new different headache unexperienced
Associated nausea and vomiting
Visual or neurological symptoms
Paralysis,difficulty in coordination.
Clouding of conciousness
Fever and stiff neck
Odema of optic disc known as papillodema.
Sensory loss
Pupillary changes.
As you can see the absence of these would make one think of tension headache.Do consult your doctors but quit worrying.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here