Question: Tingling in pinky, ring finger, and palm

ArmySGT - Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 pm

I am currently deployed overseas and am getting very little treatment for this. I pulled my trapezius about 7 months maybe 8 months ago. It seemed to go away with time. Now for the past 6 months i have been feeling tingling in my pinky finger, my ring finger, and a little bit in the palm. Also, when i turn my head to the left i get a sharp pain in my bicep. Are these two related and what is causing this? I have seen a physical therapist and he has put me on a track machine and done manual therapy but nothing is working.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Your symptoms resemble those due to a "thoracic outlet syndrome".

The thoracic outlet is the bony opening through which some of the the intra thoracic structures exit and find their way into the neck and upper limbs.

Thoracic outlet syndrome refers to compression of some of the neurovascular structures at this level, causing symptoms in the uppper extrimity.The involvement may be venous, arterial, or neurologic. Venous and arterial symptoms will not be discussed further here.

Neurologic involvement is the commonest (95%). In the majority of cases, the nerve roots C8 and T1 are involved, causing tingling and numbness in area of distribution of the ulnar nerve (little finger,the medial half of the ring finger, inner aspect of the arm, & inner aspect of the forearm) as well as weakness of the muscles supplied by the nerves issuing from these nerve roots.

This Neurogenic form of thoracic outlet syndrome is often precipitated by an hyperextension neck injury, such as whiplash injury following a motor vehicle accidents or a falls.This kind of injury causes spasm of the neck muscles and leads to compression at the thoracic outlet. Neck pain and pain over the trapezius muscle are frequent symptoms.

There are a number of differential diagnoses and these need to be excluded.You must consult an orthopedic surgeon to begin with, and have your complaints sorted out.

|