News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling in pinky, ring finger, and palm

ArmySGT - Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 pm

I am currently deployed overseas and am getting very little treatment for this. I pulled my trapezius about 7 months maybe 8 months ago. It seemed to go away with time. Now for the past 6 months i have been feeling tingling in my pinky finger, my ring finger, and a little bit in the palm. Also, when i turn my head to the left i get a sharp pain in my bicep. Are these two related and what is causing this? I have seen a physical therapist and he has put me on a track machine and done manual therapy but nothing is working.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your symptoms resemble those due to a "thoracic outlet syndrome".

The thoracic outlet is the bony opening through which some of the the intra thoracic structures exit and find their way into the neck and upper limbs.

Thoracic outlet syndrome refers to compression of some of the neurovascular structures at this level, causing symptoms in the uppper extrimity.The involvement may be venous, arterial, or neurologic. Venous and arterial symptoms will not be discussed further here.

Neurologic involvement is the commonest (95%). In the majority of cases, the nerve roots C8 and T1 are involved, causing tingling and numbness in area of distribution of the ulnar nerve (little finger,the medial half of the ring finger, inner aspect of the arm, & inner aspect of the forearm) as well as weakness of the muscles supplied by the nerves issuing from these nerve roots.

This Neurogenic form of thoracic outlet syndrome is often precipitated by an hyperextension neck injury, such as whiplash injury following a motor vehicle accidents or a falls.This kind of injury causes spasm of the neck muscles and leads to compression at the thoracic outlet. Neck pain and pain over the trapezius muscle are frequent symptoms.

There are a number of differential diagnoses and these need to be excluded.You must consult an orthopedic surgeon to begin with, and have your complaints sorted out.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here