Question: Light touch of cheek shoots pain to eye and back of neck

Leadsinger - Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 am

Good morning,

Straight and to the point...
When I lightly brush fingers on my right cheek (by cheek bone) I get a shock-like or short burst sensation through my right eye and where the base of my skull meets the neck (also right side).

If I put pressure on the cheek there is no pain, only from a light brush.

I noticed this a few months back but it seemed to have subsided, but it is back again a little bit stronger than it was previously.

The pain is only there for a split second with the initial touch. Keeping the fingers in place on the point does not continue the pain.

I've searched the boards but haven't seen these exact symptoms anywhere.
The pain isn't excrutiating, but it's definitely not supposed to be there.

Any information would be useful...

As I'm new to these boards, if I posted this in the wrong place I apologize. Please move the post to wherever it may be appropriate.

Thanks for your time!
R
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 pm

User avatar Hello,You could be suffering from a mild form of trigeminal neuralgia.This causes pain on one side of the face.Generally light touch acts as a trigger and causes pain along the nerve leading to a typical burst of pain.Also sometimes TMJ problems relating to the temporo- mandibular joint also could cause similar pain.Cause of trigeminal neuralgia is uncertain and may be related to nerve damage.If so, treatment is in the form of medications like mazetol to reduce the attacks as prescribed by a physician.Many recover in time and yours being mild would be self limiting.Do consult a doctor or oral surgeon.Best wishes.
 Leadsinger - Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:12 am

Thank you Doctor. I appreciate your assistance.

It appears to have gotten worse of late, and the headache is more constant from the eye to the back of the neck. Could it also be stress related?
Also, I notice the symptoms are gone or almost completely gone while working out.

I am making an appointment with a doctor today.

Thank you again,

R

|