Question: fractured skull

mbh - Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:13 pm

i fractured my skull when i was 11 i am now 38 and for the last year and a half have head aches, pressure on the front left of my head, behavior issues-getting angry ease and blowup for no reason........left eye twitching.....words getting jumbled sometimes...........clumsy.........and on the front left of my head there is a hot spot or heat spot..........could this be signs of a tumer? i have been laid of from my job so can't afford to to to the doctor if its just old age...........oh and my sex drive has decreased alot..........thank you for your time
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:47 am

Both malignant and benign tumors of the brain cause similar symptoms. Benign tumors grow slowly and may become quite large before causing symptoms.

A brain tumors can cause many symptoms, and the symptoms may occur suddenly or develop gradually. Which of the symptoms develop first and how they develop depend on the tumor's size, rate of growth ,and location.

In some parts of the brain, even small tumors can have devastating effects (ex,postetior fossa tumors). In other parts of the brain, tumors can grow relatively large before any symptoms appear(more so in children as the sutures may not have closed and thus the skull can expand).

As a tumor grows, it pushes and stretches the brain tissue, but usually does not destroy it, which can compensate for these changes fairly well. Thus, symptoms may not develop at first.

A headache due to a brain tumor usually recurs more and more often as time passes. It eventually becomes constant, without relief. It is often worse while lying down. The headache may awaken people from sleep. A gradually growing tumor causes a headache that typically is worse when people first awaken. If headaches with these characteristics begin in people who have not had headaches before, a brain tumor should be suspected.

Other common symptoms are nausea and vomiting (frequently 'projectile') & seizures.

There are numerous other symptoms which depend on the location of the tumor. To list a few...
Weakness or loss of sensations in the arms or legs, Stumbling or lack of coordination while walking, abnormal eye movements or visual changes, drowsiness, personality changes, memory deficits and changes in speech.

You seem to have had a skull fracture at the age of 11 years. This per-se should not lead to a brain tumor, although one condition which is related to a head trauma and can sometimes present years later should be considered.... a Chronic sub-dural hematoma.

This can present with symptoms of increased intracranial pressure(ICP).
As you seem to have symptoms dating back to a year and a half, it is better to consult a neurologist who, in all probability would request a CT brain scan which should sort out your legitimate suspicions.

|