News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: 10 year old daughter with severe frontal headache

stewysgirl79 - Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:20 pm

my 10 year old daughter has been suffering from a sever headache in the front region of her head for the past 4 days, whenever she moves her head to the side or when she stands up she gets quite dizzy and starts to feel nautious, she refuses to play or be around a lot of noise as she says it makes it feel worste, this is not like her as she is a social butterfly. this may have no relevance but she actually wet the bed for the first time since she was a tot, this happened on the second day of her headache onset, i would really like some advice from you as my daughter is hard to get to go to the doctors. thankyou!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:06 am

User avatar Hi,
I sincerely hope that your daughter is well by now.
Based on your description of the episode alone, it may be inappropriate to hazard a guess.

There is one detail however, that seems odd.You say that she "she actually wet the bed for the first time since she was a tot".
This could be significant.

Apart from the more common causes of headaches, there is one entity which is capable of inducing such a clinical picture - headaches associated with seizures(epilepsy).

These are classified as
- preictal,
- ictal, or
- postictal,
based on their temporal relationship to the actual seizure activity.

Unlike preictal or ictal headaches, postictal headaches (PIH) are fairly common. Most commonly, they are associated with generalized tonic-clonic seizures, with complex partial seizures, and are less common with simple partial seizures.

Rarely, headache can be the sole or most predominant clinical manifestation of an epileptic seizure.

The headaches may last from <6 hours(common) to >24 hours(rare).

Pathogenesis: is as yet unclear.Some studies have shown that seizures may activate the trigeminovascular system, and thus cause headaches.

I trust you have consulted your family doctor regarding this.If you have not done so already, please do so.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here