Question: Numb fingers

bfauble83 - Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:18 am

Hi, could someone please help me with this...

Yesterday morning I woke up and my hand was asleep (it happens sometimes because I always lie on it) after a couple minutes the hand went back to normal, except for the pinky and ring finger...they are still somewhat numb...could I have done some sort of nerve damage or something? Is this something I should see a doctor about? (I don't have insurance and really can't afford to unless necessary)....I've also noticed that I cannot bend my pinky downward unless my ring finger is also bent...

Thanks in advance

B.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:31 am

User avatar Dear bfauble83:
The symptoms you have described are most probably due to nerve compression (the ulnar nerve). As you said you lie on this arm when you are sleeping, the nerve is compressed more with flexed elbow and you add more compression by the way you sleep. You have mentioned also that the symptoms are getting improved this means that the compression caused a mild nerve problem that most probably will disappear in few days.
All what you have to do right now is to try keeping the elbow as extended as possible and avoid adding more pressure while you are sleeping, a straight elbow has less pressure on the nerve. Regular daily activities must be altered. Avoid crossing your arms across your chest e.g. talking on the telephone, watch how much your elbow is bent. Adjust your chair and desk so that when writing, working at a typewriter or a computer keyboard, the elbow is flexed no more that 30 degrees and the wrist is in a neutral position. Most of these changes are common sense and require you to pay attention to your daily activities.
Nerve compressions are more common in people with arthritis, diabetes, thyroid problems, and those who consume a great deal of alcohol. So if these symptoms are repeated or persists for long time you have to check a physician immediately for proper diagnosis and management.
Hope to hear you recovered soon.
 Lisawc - Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:00 pm

I am having a similar problem, but the only difference is, I can't get the numbness to go away.

Now, about 4 days ago, I had a dizzy spell. Not sure why it occurred, it just happened out of the blue. I was sitting at my computer, working on a client's website, and felt this dizzy spell come on along w/a nauseated feeling. So I went to lay down for a bit. After the dizziness started going away, I noticed my entire pinky finger, palm-side of my ring finger, and half my palm were numb. They have remained numb ever since.

My numb fingers isn't the only problem I'm dealing with, though.

===================
Here's a lil bit of history:

I used to go to a chiropractor about once a week [til insurance quit paying], and was told that my neck problems were due to the anxiety I deal with; that calcium deposits build up and cause me to have these re-occuring criches and stiffness in my neck [but it's been 3 yrs since the last time I've been able to get an adjustment].

I have lower back problems, but was told by my obgyn that it was due to the endo.

Mind you, I have birthed 6 children.........after my youngest was born, I didn't leave the house for a little over a year [she just turned 2 yrs of age yesterday]. Two weeks after I gave birth to her, I broke my ankle. So for about 6 mths, w/the depression that was set in, I stayed in bed for about 6 mths [would only get out of it for bathroom needs]. I still don't get out much - w/the exception of going to my dr for my monthly refills. I used to be a very social and active person. What's happened? Therapist told me I was experiencing something similar to atrophy; psychological atrophy, not physical atrophy.

Now, with the broken ankle, I have problems with the inside area. I broke it while tripping backwards over a canister vaccum. I tried to catch myself, and in trying to do so, it broke in a back and outwards direction. Ligaments were torn and the outter bone [forgot what it was called] was broken. So a plate and 9 pins were put in to correct the break, and the ortho stitched the ligaments back together. The area where the ligaments are is still very sensitive. X-ray after x-ray, the ortho said it looked fine. He couldn't understand why the upper part, as well as the ligament area, of my foot would remain flushed red, sweaty, swollen, and tender to the touch. Well, insurance quit paying on this one, so I had to quit going to visit him.

Husband works in a family accounting business, so good insurance is not always provided. Having 5 children makes it even tougher. Having only one income makes it beyond tough. Needless to say, I don't visit dr's that much. The children are covered, but I was dropped off due to financial difficulties.
===============

So, here I sit..........w/a couple of numb fingers, a sore ankle, a sore back, a constant headache, and no desire to leave the house and be faced to see "people". I'm a breathing disfunction...heh. And I'm only 34 yrs old! ....... so what the hoo-hah is my problem? :?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:39 pm

User avatar Hi Lisawc,
I think you should see a neurologist about your numbness symptoms. If the numbness doesnt go away then you cannot afford to wait. Waiting could result in a permenant nerve damage.
When was the last time you saw a psychiatrist? It looks like your going through a depressive phase. Something that may require modification of your drugs.
 tomdenise - Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:17 pm

I realize this is somewhat an older post, but I've been searching for what happened to me 4 days ago and this was an EXACT match.

What Lisawc described is exactly what happened to me. Sitting at my desk behind a computer, I got dizzy and nauseated all of a sudden and my ring finger and pinky on my left hand and part of my palm went numb. The dizziness continued a little over the next day and a half, the nausea had subsided by the next day, but the numbness comes and goes very regularly and stays for an hour at a time sometimes.

I have no medical conditions whatsoever, I'm 30 yr old male and had a physical this morning. I'm in very good health other than 60 lbs overweight, but that's down from 120 lbs overweight. The dr this morning had no insight as to what could have caused this.

Should I also get to a neurologist? What could cause this?
Thanks.
 DaveT - Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:24 pm

I have had similar numbness/sensory symptoms in my hand and foot and have seen a neurologist. I was told this could be nothing or that worst case, it could be multiple sclerosis. I am having tests done to rule out viruses and other things, but I'm at least glad I went to see the neuro because the sooner we find out what it is, the sonner we can treat it, and the less damage will be done.
 akameh - Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:50 am

Hi

For the last 3 weeks, half of my ring finger, pinky and part of the palm are kind of numb. Went to a doc - Phsio as well as a Neuro. The Neuro suggested blood, urine and a nerve conduction velocity test - but all has come normal (thank GOD!).
On seeing the reports he suggested that it might take some time for the numbness to go.

But still the numbness remains. Saw postings on this forum - wanted to check if you guys have an idea how to cure this problem - from your experiences.

I was advised a multivite -Unicobal for 15 days. Any other medicine / advice would be appreciated.

|