Question: possible nerve damage after exposure to gasoline fumes?

bltc - Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:35 am

We started smelling a strong odor of gasoline in garage and the smell came on inside of house. A hose under the hood came loose and was emmitting gas fumes to the exhaust. Since then my fingers on both hands are numb and painful. They almost feel as if you came in from the fridget cold and they are warming up. The pain also comes and goes now in arms and shoulder. I also have lung pain and shortness of breath. I called my primary doctor twice last week and never received call back. Could the pain and numbness be related to the fumes and should i seek medical attention?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:29 am

Some experimental studies on animals have reported some of the toxic effects from concentrated gasoline vapour which consist primarily in very characteristic convulsions finally resulting in respiratory paralysis, myocardial depression and death.
In the industrial context, gasoline engines are said to be dangerous in tunnels where the ventilation is not extremely efficient, and should never be used in tunnels that are entered by means of a shaft.

In the domestic situation, inhaling automobile exhaust fumes can be dangerous (carbon Monoxide poisoning) if one happens to be in a closed, unventilated enclosure. In well ventilated rooms, the inhaled air may not have dangerous concentrations of carbon monoxide and other exhaust fumes(it is best to leave the room immediatly and investigate).

There have been cases reports of 'Toxic psychosis' associated with gasoline inhalation.The symptoms were predominantly autonomic, perceptual and affective.

The symptoms you are experiencing perhaps may not be related to this single episode of gasoline fume inhalation.It is better for you to consult with a neurologist as soon as you can to sort this out.

|