News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Dystharia?? - Difficulty Talking and Slurred Speech

Mango717 - Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi,

I am a 52 year old female. Two and a half years ago (8/2007), I woke up one morning and my speech was extremely slurred. I was hospitalized and had a CT and MRI nothing was found. I was told to go see a psychiatrist.

Since then I have had several experiences where I awake from sleep and cannot talk. When I attempt to talk, I am either unable to speak or I speak gibberish. After several hours, my speech slowly begins to return but it is significantly slurred. Over time, it gradually returns to normal.

I have been hospitalized three times and all of the tests come back negative. I have been told that this is conversion disorder. I don't believe it because it keeps happening. It happened again on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009. It began at 10 p.m. and lasted until approximately 3 p.m. the next day.

This time, I documented my experience on videotape, as it was happening. So I have proof of what I am experiencing.

After being pushed off by doctors, I am reluctant to even go to the hospital again.

But I know something is wrong and I need guidance. Can someone please contact me?
 Nicknerd - Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Hello,

I'm sure that the doctors would have tested you for MG? I have MG and have severe nasal/slurred speech. Mine is also very bad in the morning, even though MG typically presents with fatiguable weakness (in other words, speech would be better in the morning as opposed to evening). Lambert Eaton Myasthenic syndrome can sometimes present with bulbar symptoms and might cause morning weakness that would improve with movement. Have you had a CT scan to rule out thymoma or any other type of cancer (lung possibly)? Not trying to scare you, but as difficulty speaking is scary enough, I"m sure you'd prefer to have any answer!

Nicknerd

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here