News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Bad Fall: Nerve Pain in Leg, MRI Results, Questions...

HorseLove9 - Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I fell off a horse two months ago. Since then I've had swelling where impact was and nerve problems since. It was bearable for a bit, but now I cannot lay on my back without having the right side of my leg go numb, down to my right side of my foot. This also happens with bending, sitting, leaning forward etc (after two months, it finally bothered me riding, I was told to continue after my first doctor visit and just recently can no longer do it). Had MRI done, and my doctor quickly told me "Superimposed disc hernication center out of midline" and something about my L5 S1. Constant tingling, burning bee like sensation that gets worse if in any of those positions, somewhat itchyness sensation that gets worse. What does this all mean?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:49 pm

User avatar Hi,

The term "Superimposed" could mean a whole lot of things...
- a L5/S1 disc prolapse "Superimposed" on pre-existing spondylolisthesis,
- a L5/S1 'Extraforaminal lumbar disc herniation' (EFLDH), "Superimposed" on a 'Foraminal lumbar disc herniation' (FLDH) etc.

You probably suffered a a L5/S1 disc prolapse causing compression of the S1 herve root (S1 rediculopathy).

A herniated disc could be
- small or
- large

Could be
- Central or
- Para-central.

Which nerve roots may end up compressed would depend upon
- the disc involved
- size of the prolapsed disc and
- whether it is central or para-central.

Thus a 'paracentral' disc prolapse at for example L5/S1 would usually miss the L5 root, involve the S1 root and spare the roots still within the thecal sac. A central disc prolapse (which is less common), will compress thecal nerve roots. The even rarer lateral disc prolapse may occasionally press on the L5 nerve root.

You must consult an orthopedic surgeon, who would be in a position to offer a plan of management for you after examining you & going through the MRI report.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here