Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headaches

kimberly629 - Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi i am 28 years old, i am overweight and a smoker. I have severe headaches, with dizziness, that worsens when i stand up. There have been times when i almost blackout. The headaches are daily, I have pain in the front of my forehead. Behind my eyes and in my face. I know that alot is being caused by my smoking, most likely sinusitis. But i have cut back on the smoking greatly and have taken medicine that has been prescribed and they are only getting worse,. also i have tmj and my face and head hurts sometimes so bad that i cannot eat, speak, yawn or anything. I also have stiff neck and shoulders and burning sensations in my left shoulder, where the neck meets the shoulder in the back. I also have nausea with them. Please Help.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:52 pm

User avatar Dear kimberly629:
You have listed several contributing factors to headaches. First of all smoking decreases the amount of oxygen that gets to your brain by constricting the blood vessels, this in turn can cause you to develop headaches. You did not say how much overweight you are. A person who is obese can develop sleep apnea which is the stopping breathing for a short periods of time while you are sleeping. This causes a person to not get adequate rest. It also causes mouth breathing during sleep which can contribute to both nasal congestion and headaches. When you don't rest well, you can develp muscle tension and aches and pains. Sleep apnea can also lead to heart failure so it is not something to ignore. Of more immediate concern is the "almost blacking out when standing up". When a person stands the blood, that has pooled while they were sitting down, rushes into their lower extremities thereby lowering their overall blood pressure. If their blood pressure drops too low, they black out or faint. This is serious and needs to be checked out by a doctor. Quitting smoking and losing weight will benefit you all around but that all takes time. Right now you need to find out what is causing your blood pressure to drop suddenly when you stand up. I urge you to see your doctor right away. Please let me know how you are doing. I care.
Kind regards,
Carolyn

|