News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: 19 yr old daughter seizures

simply - Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi I am hoping that someon can shed some light on this for me..my daughter who was healthy all of her life has started to have grand maul seizures just out of the blue..she had CAT and MRI and had an EEG all of which have come back normal.i have found the doctors to be just brushing this off he last seizure presented with vomiting before her actual grand maul..she s taking dilantin 300 mg at bedtime which seems to be helping this just seems kinda weird to have an onset this late in life..and help all of the research that i have done points to a brain tumor...distressed mother
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello, simply,

What a difficult situation! Medical science can be inexact at times, and it is frustrating when tests are negative while the symptoms persist. Seizure activity can be caused by many different things, from forms of epilepsy, opthalmological migraines, and cardiovascular issues to aneurysms and tumors. Epilepsy can occur at any stage in life. Adult onset epilepsy often has symptoms including mood swings, depression, episodes of short-term memory loss/forgetfulness, repetitive blinking, staring, head nodding, and involuntary muscle jerks, including the distinctive grand mal episodes. Having a neurological evaluation is clearly indicated; if this has been done and the results of the evaluation are negative, clarify with the doctor at what intervals the tests should be repeated so that any progression of a possible tumor or other lesion can be identified as early as possible. Some neurologists feel a PET (positive emission tomography) is useful when other tests have not disclosed an underlying cause. Medications generally need gradual adjustment until the most appropriate dosage is achieved. Keeping a record of all symptoms, including the seizures, is very helpful in identifying patterns or merely tracking the seizures. Include the nature of the symptom, when it began, how long it lasted, what happened just before it started and any ensuing symptoms (as drowsiness), and any other data that seems significant. Keep the record daily, whether or not there are symptoms that occur. Take the record to all medical appointments. I hope this information is helpful to you, and good luck to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here