Forum Name: Headaches

Question: bad headaches for 8 months almost everday.

chillin602 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

im 15 years old, back in december 6th of 2009, i had a migrain headache i had the usual side affects (vomiting, dizziness, sharp pains in my eyes. stiff neck and shoulders) i have a bout 1 migrain every couple months. but i have very slight headaches that i constantly feel everyday. i went to the doctor and he told me i have tension headaches. he prescribed me some pills but they didnt work. i bought some excederin tension headache pills and they worked better. but i still have slight headaches why?? i also discovered that i have about 3 pea sized and smaller sized lumps on my neck. they don't hurt, but could this be causing the headaches? and what are these "lumps" on my neck.

thank you for your time!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:21 am

Hello, chillin602,

Since the initial treatment for your headaches did not relieve or reduce them, that means you need to have your symptoms evaluated again. Tension headaches can be frequent, but not constant. I am also concerned about the pea-sized and smaller lumps in your neck. They may or may not be related to your headaches, but it is very important that they be evaluated as soon as you can arrange it, if you haven't already had them evaluated. They can be early signs of some troubling diagnoses, and I'm sure your doctor would want to know about them and examine them. Please ask your parents for assistance in advocating for more detailed evaluation with your doctor. I often suggest that a person keep a record of when the headaches occur, how long they last, how severe the pain is on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being extremely painful and 1 being not very painful, and what you are doing at the time the headaches start and/or grow worse. That's a lot of record keeping for you, but it will give the best and most detailed information to your doctor to help him or her more carefully assess what is happening. It will also help clarify it for you.

Good luck to you.

|