News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pressure at the top center of head

ladyonamission - Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 am

Hello,

Since about October 2009, I have had what feels like pressure at the top of my head. It feels like someone or something is pressing hard on my head. I take three ibuprofens to subside the pain. The pain is located directly on top of my head, not on the sides or back. What can be the cause of this type of pain?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Hello, ladyonamission,

Headaches can occur in so many different ways, that it can be very difficult for your doctor to identify the exact reason for them. Most people describe their headache pain in terms of sharp or dull pain, constant aching, stabbing pain, or pain with pressure, and the pain can occur in any area of the head, or over the entire head. Headaches are generally classified as migraine, tension, cluster, menstrual, spinal, sinus or combination type headaches. They are also classified in terms of primary, as migraine, or secondary, as sinus. It sometimes requires a "trial and error" method for your doctor to determine the cause of headache, along with good communication between doctor and patient. Pain level is often graded on a scale of 1 (quite mild) to 10 (severe). It can be invaluable to the doctor for the patient to maintain a headache record, which would include when the headache began (both date and time of day), what the patient was doing when the headache began or before it began,where the pain was located, how long the headache lasted, what if anything helped relieve it and did it relieve the headache entirely or reduce the symptoms, and any other data that seems significant. With such a record, the doctor can look for diagnostic patterns and get an overall picture of how the headaches affect the patient's function. So many things can cause a headache, from sinus problems, stress and hormonal imbalances, to more severe causes, such as tumor or circulatory abnormalities, that it can take some real detective work to nail down the diagnosis. If a patient and his doctor are stymied and have been unsuccessful in identifying the cause, a referral for neurological evaluation may be necessary. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here