Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Chronic Migraines for years-Need solution

adidas62082 - Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 pm

I get severe migraines almost daily. Some weeks it is everyday! Nothing over the counter helps, not even a little bit. Is there something I can take to prevent them? My old doctor once prescribed me Verapamil to prevent them but that didn't help for long. Please let me know what to say to my doctor. Thank you!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello adidas62082,

There are medications specifically for treatment of migraines, such as Maxalt or Imitrex, among others. It seems reasonable to request a trial of one of them from your doctor. I also suggest that you request a neurological evaluation to determine the actual nature of your headaches, whether they are migraines or due to another underlying cause. It would be helpful for you to maintain a daily record of your headaches, including when they occur, what time of day, what you are doing at the time, how long they last, and what you are taking or doing to try to relieve them. Add whatever information or notations you'd like. Take your "headache diary" with you to all appointments with your physician(s). It can be helpful to them in evaluating the cause and the best times for any routine medications they might prescribe. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

|