Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Left Side of Head Hurts Everyday

engarde - Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello, i would like to ask a question about this headache i have been experiencing lately, this started a few months ago when i was eating something with a vinegar sauce, i suddenly had a terrible headache on the left part of my head and then it started to hurt but the pain wasn't really much of a problem back then, but now it seems to happen alot more often and whenever it hurts i also experience extreme vulnerability to anxiety attacks almost anything could trigger my anxiety which i was already diagnosed with, it would have been bearable if this was all but when i have anxiety attacks it also triggers something about my left arm getting stiff or tense and my heart also hurts it kind of like a chain reaction, i asked my doctor about this but he said it was probably just my anxiety or depression and told me to go see a psychiatrist which i did and only got xanor 500mg anti anxiety pills, but you see i still experience this headache everyday on only the left side of my head, it hurts a bit like its throbbing and then after some time i feel like the pain goes down and it stops for a while and later its back again, it's nothing extremely painful it's more of annoying, and no it can't be eye problem because i just had new glasses this year, and strangely when my head hurts i feel incredibly sleepy and tired even though i just slept!! and yes i can't really sleep because im not really sleepy it just happens when it hurts and when the pain is gone my drowsiness goes away too, and lastly i have been noticing that i seem to have more saliva than normal so i was also slightly thinking if this could be related to rabies? not sure, but we do have alot of pets here in our home and alot of them are not vaccinated cause my mother likes to pick up strays- and yes i got bitten by then sometimes, and to top it all my mother sometimes feeds them on our plates.

overall im not really sure what this is, i just wanted to see if anyone can help me before i go back to the doctor and get another check up, then on the other hand i don't know what to tell the hospital doctors either, i really hope someone can help me with this and i'm very thankful for any information or even the time you spent listening to me, thanks in advance.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello, engarde,

It's certainly understandable that you would be distressed because of such complex symptoms. I do agree that anxiety could be a major contributor. If your medications are not helping, you need to have further evaluation and likely would benefit from seeing a therapist regularly, rather than just seeing your psychiatrist for medication. A psychological evaluation would be helpful. It's not likely that the vinegar sauce caused these issues; it's more likely that it was coincidental. Your symptoms do not suggest rabies, so please don't worry about that. Please discuss with your doctor the possibility of a neurological evaluation, as well, to rule out arteritis or other conditions. Because of the variable nature and variable severity of your symptoms, I encourage you to immediately begin a daily record of your symptoms. Include what the symptom is, how long it lasts, what you were doing when it started, how severe it is on a scale of 1(mild) to 10 (severe), what helped relieve it. Practice relaxation techniques, and maintain a mild exercise program, which will help with oxygenation of your brain, which can help reduce the severity of your headaches.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

|