Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Sharp, sudden right temple pain! Have questions!

ccollini - Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 am

I was recently sick with the flu and since then have been having this pain in my right temple. It is very short and quick, it is like a needle quickly stabbing me in the temple and then the pain usually travels to my right eye. I have a history of headaches, but nothing like this before. I also have a slightly stiff neck (i had it while i was sick as well). The pain does not seem to be onset by anything imparticular, i get it when i wake up, in the middle of the day... no telling when. Recently when i turn my head quickly to the left it does happen with a sharp pain through my temple then eye. I plan on going to the doctor, i just have to get some time. I simply need some advice because this is kind of scaring me. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN! I would really apprechate it!

Catherine
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Hello, ccollini,

I apologize that this reply is not more timely. Your distress at your unusual symptoms is certainly understandable. You are correct in planning to have your doctor evaluate your symptoms, since there are any number of possibilities that could be contributing. Your recent bout of flu could have left you with some residual areas of inflammation that are adding to your symptoms, or it could be due to a subsequent, unrelated condition. In either case, I strongly recommend that you immediately begin keeping a daily record of all of your symptoms, including when they occur, how long they last, what you were doing when or immediately prior to when they occurred, what if anything helped to relieve them, and any other data that you consider significant. If your symptoms occur several times a day, record several times a day. Take your record with you when you visit your doctor; it can help him identify any diagnostic patterns, as well as help him determine the most appropriate timing for any medications that are indicated for treatment. It may help you while awaiting your appointment with your doctor to do some simple relaxation techniques, such as slow deep breaths, focusing on something or someplace that you have found enjoyable and restful (as, sitting by a lakeshore or river), meditation, etc. It's reasonable to feel scared at unusual symptoms, but the resulting anxiety can tend to exacerbate the symptoms and/or your sensitivity to them. Relaxation techniques can help minimize that effect, so that your doctor can be assured that variable has been addressed.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

|