Forum Name: Headaches

Question: I have had a headache for over a year

Flayra - Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

I've had a headache since mid-August of 2009. I've gone to my doctor a few times, at first he said it was a migrain and gave me a few different migrain medications to try, but none of them worked. I've gotten a CT scan done recently and am still awaiting the results of that. Occasionally I get neck stiffness, but I've had that longer than the headaches. I've gotten bloodwork done and there was nothign wrong with it.
The headaches seem to be worse when I wake up than when I go to bed. The headache is kind of pin-pointed; Sometimes it is obvious as to the exact spot where it is, sometimes it's kind of clouded, but in a general area of my head. The headache is usually either at the back of my head where my skull starts, on the very top-centre of my head, or my forehead. Sometimes the headache feels like someone is pushing as hard as they can on both sides of my head.
I've tried pain killers, 6 different migrain medications, over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol and Asprin but nothign seems to work.. My headaches are not consistant with the weather, or anything except when I wake up. I'd really like to know any possible way I can get rid of, or at least mild my headaches.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello, Flayra,

What a frustrating situation for you. Since the trials of migraine medications have not helped you, your most reasonable next step would be to have an evaluation by a neurologist. The CT scan may provide an answer, but if it does not, request a referral to neurology. If you are seeing a neurologist already, discuss the difficulty in detail with him or her, and describe clearly the negative effects your headaches are having on your life, including any impairment in your usual daily activities. If he or she suggests a psychological evaluation, by all means pursue it. Anxiety and/or depression can definitely contribute to headaches, even if you do not feel that you are particularly depressed or anxious. A sleep study may be indicated, since your headaches are worse after sleeping. I hope these suggestions are helpful to you, and that you are able to find relief from your headaches.

Good luck to you!

|