Question: Incessant twitching and muscle spasms

annansa - Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:48 pm

Please help!
I have been experiencing a non-stop twitch/spasm in my upper lip for approximately one week. In any given 20 minute time frame, my upper lip will jump anywhere from 20-44 times (I know b/c I've counted). It is really bothersome and when it happens, it is so hard, it is noticeable to the naked eye. This isn't like my lip is curling (like Elvis) more like a rumble. It's on the upper lip, close to the top, right under my right nostril. When it happens, my lip in that area becomes dented and the muscle rumbles really quickly before relesing. The whole thing lasts a nano second but the repetitiveness it killing me. I should also mention that I experience muscle spasms and twitches all over my body: my head (it feels like my brain), my eye, cheeks, nose, ears, actual lips, neck, back, breasts, arms, thighs, rectum, feet, fingers, toes, everywhere. This has been happeneing for years, but I rarely have them in one place like this for so long. It is distracting and very nervewrecking. Please tell me if this is part of a larger problem or if there is a simple resolution.
 maiden75 - Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:40 pm

I've had this for a long time too. Try drinking a big bottle of gatorade and see if it helps a bit, that was the advice I got from a doctor and it seemed to help for awhile. It's just something we gotta deal with, from what I've read it's a pretty commom problem and it just happens. Ive got it in my legs, lips, arms, belly, eyes, everywhere. I drove myself insane thinking I had every disease in the book...just try not to dwell on it. It comes and goes and now that Im not worried about it anymore it doesnt bug me like it used to, even though I still twitch all over!! Good luck! You can email me if you need support through it, i know it makes you crazy!!!

maiden751@yahoo.com
 tykilroy - Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:42 pm

I have also recently started having muscle spasms aka twithcing. started in my left lower eyelid and has spread to my neck, arms, chest, legs, stomach and head. This is very annoying and has been going on about 3 weeks now. Like you I have been looking everywhere on the internet and am thinking I have some kind of disease or brain tumor. I really wish this would stop and I don't know what to do about it. I am going to try the gatorade and I heard bananas and warm soaks on the muscle helps also. Please let me know if you have found a cure for these twitches they are driving me crazy and are very depressing. Oh I was wondering if either of you spend alot of time sitting in a chair on the computer because I do and was thinking that might have something to do with it.
 maiden75 - Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:35 pm

I freaked out and thought about it nonstop for weeks and weeks. I get them ALL over and they are just annoying. I have read countless pages online about this and I've found that this is something tons of people experience, and it's worse by worrying about it. It's called benign fasciculation syndrome. It's caused most of the time by anxiety/stress/lack of sleep/electrolytes. Bananas have potassium which are one of the electrolytes in gatorade... Worrying about it made it 100 times worse. Now when my lip, eye, leg, hand, whatever twitches, I just look at it and give it no more attention than that. It's really really REALLY rare that a twitch means anything. Trust me, I thought I had every disease associated with twitching until I stoppped obsessing on them! Just make a quick appointment with your doctor so they can check ya out and tell ya it's nothing, just like mine did! I was just fatigued/stressed. Staring at a computer is a cause of eye twitching for sure. Mine started with the eye and then it spread all over and it seemed like all I did and thought about was have these spasms. Keep in touch~I think you emailed me and I accidentally erased the message...please send it again!!!

maiden751@yahoo.com
 tykilroy - Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:48 am

Oh yeah I did e-mail you but I think I was just asking if you had heard anything new about the twitching or if it ever stopped for you. I went to the doctor yesterday and I am still waiting for my blodd work results. If everything is ok with bloodwork my doctor is going to send me to a neurologists. In the case of stress I am under tons of stress. Me and my wife are moving we are expecting a son in less than a month now I have had agoraphobia for 10 years and I constantly worry about my health. I have been wondering why the twitching seems to start in the eyelid first. Any ideas ? Anyway thinks for posting info you are making me worry less about having some life threatening disease lol : )
 juleskim - Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:49 pm

Help, I recently went thru a very stressful time, I'm a 43 yr old woman, I work out 5 days a week and thought I was healthy until 5 days ago. I woke up with my arm twitching, then gradually it spread to my legs, then all over. It's one twitch after another! I waiting on blood test results and a doc apt. But If anyone can tell me how long there episode lasted it would be great! I'm really annoyed, scared and concerned, this won't stop!!
 harvest - Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:03 pm

I am scheduled for my second emg tomorrow. I started having twitches in my lip and leg. 3 months later, it's all over my body. I am really scared something is wrong. During the first episodes i was treated for panic attacks and anxiety. Everything in worse and my neuro thought i had muscle weakness in my legs. I have had a hard time gaining weight and did, lost it last week. Not eating, could this be stress/anxiety or should i be this scared? I have a baby and husband and don't want anything wrong with me to miss out on seeing them for a long time.
 Novablackmale - Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:12 am

juleskim wrote:Help, I recently went thru a very stressful time, I'm a 43 yr old woman, I work out 5 days a week and thought I was healthy until 5 days ago. I woke up with my arm twitching, then gradually it spread to my legs, then all over. It's one twitch after another! I waiting on blood test results and a doc apt. But If anyone can tell me how long there episode lasted it would be great! I'm really annoyed, scared and concerned, this won't stop!!

HI julie im a 47 yr old male who has started some sort of twitching in my arms legs feet ankles hands and back. Did you ever get any info on your problem. I have a doctors appointment scheduled And I am worried as well. Nova
 ledbelly - Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:48 pm

I have noticed a dramatic increase in my twitching when I started taking zycam... Not sure if it is because I was fighting a cold, or if the Zycam brought on the increased twitching... I have also noticed an increase in my heart skipping a beat... I am told that it is normal for your heart to skip a beat. It is comforting to konw that this benign fasciculation is somewhat normal, just very uncomfortable. Please let me konw if you find any new news on this stuff.
Cheers!
 pika - Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Ledbelly,
I'm very scare now.
I have such a vibration and blowing bubbles likes feeling. First, in my chest. Now it sprays to hands and legs. Yesterdy, I went to a Dr. He said is related to UTI.???
I've A-Fib but I'm very naughty (didn't take medication). The vibration is exactly same as the chest one. Now my hand starts shaking. I wonder is the Parkinson disease? I don't want it!!! Or the A-Fib travels down to hands and legs? What can I do now? Anyone can help and give me some advise? Thanks.
Pika.
 john mraz - Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:57 pm

I have the same twitching, the only thing that stopped it was quinine I only took it for a week and calmed it down for a few years. Now its back so will have to get more, get low dosage ones as quinine it bad to take over & over.

You could try tonic water shake the fizz out and enjoy it relaxes you, the royels used it in India years ago and is good for the system.

Hope it help but ask you doc for pills, see how it goes.
 ryis36 - Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:09 am

First off, I've noticed a common misuse of the word "spasm" or the term "muscle spasm." I think we all grew up using that word to describe a twitch or twitching of a muscle. In truth, among medical professionals, the word is used to describe a painful contraction of a muscle or hollow organ. A muscle spasm is actually a medical term which indicates pain in the muscle. In other words, a back spasm is pain in the back, and a leg spasm is pain in the leg. A bronchial spasm is a constriction of the bronchial tubes or bronchi causing restricted airflow through in and out of the lungs. You get the picture. So, with that said, I think most of us are here describing a twitching and not a spasm.

I am on here because I have the same problem with muscles twitching. It seems at any given time, I am experiencing the repeated involuntary twitching of an isolated skeletal muscle somewhere in my body. What I mean to say is, I may have an arm, leg, abdominal muscle, etc..., that will twitch repeatedly on and off for weeks or months, then suddenly stop. Then, shortly after, I will develop the same experience in another muscle somewhere on my body. This has been happening for at least the past decade.

I am also here trying to get some answers and make sure it's not leading to something more serious, like Parkinson’s; although I'm pretty confident it's not. The last reason I'm searching for answers is because it's so darn annoying. At the moment I've been experiencing a twitch in a muscle that's located at the top distant right corner of my knee, above and to the right of my knee cap. I can easily see it when it's happening, and depending on my position, can even see it through my clothing. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now. It will twitch on and off, sometimes lasting hours, and sometimes lasting only a few minutes. It seems the more relaxed I am, the more likely I will experience the twitching, and the longer the duration of the session. It feels like a big earthworm rolling around in a ball under my skin. It keeps me from falling asleep, and even wakes me up. Sometimes if I switch positions, it will stop, and sometimes it won't.

I know it won't last for ever. One day I will just wake up and it will be gone. I also know, not that I dwell on it, that It will either return or I will more likely develop the pattern somewhere else on my body, although it seems to mostly happen in muscles located in my front. I can't remember ever developing the condition anywhere in the back of my body.

I've also heard the theories about a lack of potassium, eating bananas, drinking Gatorade, and laying off the caffeine. I do drink coffee on a daily basis, but I would be inclined to believe that's not what is causing it. Besides, I don't think I could give up my coffee. What would have to happen for me to give up coffee is the twitching to become so bad I were constantly kicking myself in the face. I might think about giving up coffee then. Also, I do drink Gatorade because it's one of my favorite beverages. Lately, I've also made it a point to drink plenty of it just to test the theory. Unfortunately, the twitching persists.

Thanks for reading.
 Maya1986 - Sat May 08, 2010 1:20 am

I have been having muscle spasms in my face for over 3 weeks now. Very strange.
First it started on the bridge of my nose between my eyes, a little bit below. A very weird area. Then it switched to my right upper cheek. I feel it + you can also see it move. 2 days ago it started in my lower lip, lasted a few minutes and then it went back to my cheeck :/ And its still there.
Sometimes its gone, can be gone 1 day and then its back. And it comes and goes throughout the day.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 am

User avatar Hello Maya,The symptoms that you describe and most of which described in the earlier postings would fall under the category of Myokymia.
These are benign fasciculatory movements and not associated with any specific disease.
These typically last for a few weeeks and could involve the facial muscles.
Stress,Anxiety,lack of sleep are said to be factors in genisis.
No specific treatment is indicated.
Fasciculations with muscle weakness,or atrophy need neurological examination.
 ScaryBreeze - Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Well as i am writing this just now my legs are twitching like mad. I was just wonderng maybe it could be down to stress? Its driving me mad i keep feeling a rushing sensation and then it will twitch i know that maybe it is stress but i'am really worried and the worst thing is i am such a worrier and i always have been. I need help with this its really hard because the harder you try to stop it the worse it becomes.

|