Question: Dizziness, Vertigo, not sure of the problem

crbrooks - Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:25 am

:?: It started one eveing, at first it wasn't bad, so I thought I just needed some fresh air. So, I steped outside and, that didn't help. Later on that night it got worse, so much so that I started to get sick. It would get really bad when I would lay on my back. I call a 1-800 nurse line at my local hospital and they advised me to visit my doctor. Well I went to my GP and he check my ears and thing like that and perscibed a motion sickness pill and ran a few blood tests (pregnacy and electrolites [sp?]) but didn't really tell me what caused it . The medicine helped to calm the major sick feelings and serious vertigo. From time to time I still get dizzy some times it's mild other times it's severe. It happens alot while I'm driving, too. That worries me because I drive about 45 miles to work everyday. I am really curiouse to know what it is. I have had other people tell my that it is a problem with my ears. I had a lot of ear infections as a child and my mother has alot of ear problems and recently had to have tubes put in her ears. I also get alot of sinus infections and when I do my ears get stopped up so that makes me think that they are in some way connected. I'm wondering if I should visit a specialist, or if anyone eles has the same problem and can give me any ideas on helping it.
Thanks alot
crbrooks :? :?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:56 am

User avatar Hi crbrooks,
The mechanism that controls balance etc. is located in the inner ear. You are correct in considering the connection between your sinusitis and the nausea/dizziness (vertigo). There are other causes for vertigo as well but I would want this ruled out as the causative factor. A physician whom is an ENT would be a specialist who would be able to address this particular problem.
 sis5 - Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 pm

This is just what I have been doing since September..I went to the ER and they said I had fuild on my ear..and it was causing Vertigo..I have had sinus problems for years. I have to hold my nose and blow to unstop my ears..Should I be taking an antibiotic?
 YumiKandi - Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:21 am

I have the same problem, i'm suffering from it now right as this moment. My GP also said something about fluid in my inner ear, it feels exactly like motion sickness but without the motion. My GP said that tilting your head to 1 side and then swapping over helps a bit but it doesn't really work for me. Mine always happens during the afternoon and is worse at night.
 ygrao - Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:16 pm

I am suffering from similar issue since yesterday (07/17/2010). I woke up very dizzy and took some time to recover from it then I was OK. But I tried to lay down flat on my bed and again hit with deep dizziness. So I immediately came back to sitting position as I was not comfy with that dizziness. I am really worrying about the sleep tonight. I am planning to sleep in my recliner sopa so that I can keep my head little bit high. After reading this forum, I strongly believe I have positional vertigo issue. Or May be beacuse of my levoxyl medicine dosage increase from 100 mcg to 112 mcg to address my hypo thyroid issues. I am planning to see my GP on Monday 07/19. let's see what he says.. i am really scared to drive.. i am not feeling that much dizziness while I am sitting or walking.. if any one has any suggestions to me, i really appreciate..

Thanks in advance!

|