Question: left thigh pain, numbness

cindyjoe - Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:36 am

:? The side of my left thigh from mid-thigh up into the buttocks has become sensitive to touch, and some numbness, and occasional itchyness or bee sting-like sensations. I have no trouble walking, but I cannot run or jump with this condition. What do you suppose this is? What could be the cause? What can I do about it? Thank you so much for your thoughts.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:15 am

User avatar Cindyjoe,
good to see you again. Have you seen a neurologist about your visual disturbances are they still there?
 cindyjoe - Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:04 pm

Hi Dr. Fouad,

The visual disturbances are infrequent and seem to be related to migraine as you suspected. I'm very glad that they arrive and leave without pain! I can live with that! :)

The outer left thigh pain has not gone away and I am puzzled by it. Where there was no numbness in the beginning, there is now, but it is not profound. It too is a pain I can tolerate, but I don't want to continue to ignore it if it's cause could be a bigger problem.

The cheek pain is less prevalent now but there is a constant subtle tingling,not painful, sensation behind my outer left cheek bone. The actual cheek pain comes and goes less frequently at this time.

Thank you for your response.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:06 am

User avatar Assuming that your symptoms are not due to anxiety, the numbness and pain present in your thigh are called radicular symptoms. They take the distribution of a dermatome. Click here for a video on dermatomes:

Dermatome

It is caused by the affection of a nerve root.

A herniated intervertebral disk, with or without degenerative spinal disease, is the most common cause of a root disorder. Bone changes in RA or osteoarthritis, especially in the cervical and lumbar regions, may compress isolated nerve roots. Less commonly, chronic meningitis, especially carcinomatous meningitis, produces patchy multiple root dysfunction. Epidural abscesses and tumors, spinal meningiomas, and neurofibromas may present with radicular symptoms. Diabetes mellitus can cause a painful thoracic or extremity radiculopathy. Herpes zoster infection usually causes a painful radiculopathy with a dermatomal sensory loss and characteristic rash; it may result in a motor radiculopathy with myotonal weakness and reflex loss.
 cindyjoe - Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:18 am

Dr. Fouad,

Thank you so much for responding. You are always quick to respond and so informative. This is a great service.

Do you feel that my current symptoms should be looked into by a physician to find the source or shall I wait to see if the symptoms worsen or disappear?

On a side note, I am surprised that anxiety can cause such localized symptoms in my thigh! How interesting! I am taking 20mg Paxil at this time for anxiety and depression. I started it after my failed IVF attempt. It was also started after my cheek and thigh symptoms appeared. Perhaps I am on the wrong dosage of Paxil???

Thank you so much for being a part of The Doctor's Lounge. I appreciate your expertise.

cindyjoe
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:09 pm

User avatar Cindyjoe,
Thank you for your polite reply. I cannot judge your symptoms accurately from here so i would tend to be more on the cautious side. The only way to assume that anxiety is the cause is by carefully excluding all other so called 'organic' causes. I think dermatomal or radicular symptoms warrant evaluation by a neurologist.
If you have been to one before then maybe you should go to another for a second opinion. A careful examination of the spine and maybe even an xray may have to be requested.

cindyjoe - Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:50 pm

Thank you Dr. Fouad. I will let you know what comes of this.
 kiwigirl - Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:58 am

I was searching the internet for any info on localized numbness in the thigh and I came across this post which describes exactly what I am experiencing. My upper thigh and buttock on the right side started feeling cold and numb a few days ago in a small area about 3-4 inches in diameter. There are no visible signs of anything wrong such as reddening or swelling but there is a loss of sensation to the touch and a slight tingling and itchy feeling around the affected area, similar the the after-affects of a bee sting. I have never suffered from anything like this before or any other major healh issue (other than a common cold) to be honest, so it is disturbing to feel something is not quite right. What interested me in the post written by the other woman was that she had recently been undergoing IVF treatment. I had an HSG to check the condition of my fallopian tubes just a few days ago since my husband and I have had trouble concieving. Everything was fine and it turns out that he has a low sperm count, but the day after the test I noticed the numbness in my thigh. I asked the doctor if it could have been caused by the test and she didn't think so but then she doesn't speak English very well (I am living in S.Korea) so may not have understood me clearly. Anyway, I am interested to know if an HSG procedure could cause this (IVF would also invlove a catheter being inserted in the cervix I imagine) and if so, what could it be. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
 AlYoung - Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:26 pm

This is interesting, because in the past few days I have also been experiencing similar symptoms. A slight numbness on a small patch on my left thigh, which comes and goes, and is also sometimes accompanied by some tingling, or warm/cold sensations. It seems more or less mild, but I also have an anxiety disorder and am taking Paxil(20mg) daily. My anxiety disorder causes me to worry about it quite often. Your thoughts?

P.S. 19 Yr. old male
 jrdintrnj - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:06 pm

I am 56 yo male, somewhat overweight, 6' 235 lbs.
I recently had lower back pain on my left side, radiating down my left leg.
Lower back pain subsided but inner left thigh and top of left thigh ios numb and there is deep pain between groin and knee.
I have had shot of prednisone and prednisone tabs, 20 mg. In addition, I have had pain pills and other pills, muscle relaxants, no help for numbness as I describe above.

Most importantly, I have been diagnosed with CLL (chronic lymphatic leukemia). But more tests are going to be done to reaffirm diagnosis.

With that said, what is causing the numbness, deep pain and weakness in my left leg? Pain gets especially worse at night. Right now I medicate with Tylenol 650 mg taking about 6 per day.
I am concerned, is this a symptom of CLL r another issue w/my back and leg?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:38 pm

User avatar Dear jrdintrnj,

I am sorry to hear about your provisional diagnosis with CLL. Hang in there until all your results are out. I am sure it must be very difficult.

You mentioned steroid injections, was that in the joint? Did you get an MRI of the back. Back pain with numbness in the thigh area commonly turns out to be a disc problem. That would easily be ruled out by an MRI of the lower spine.

To answer your question about whether or not its related to CLL: It isn't a common presentation of the disease, no. We would only attempt to find a link if the two conditions started at the same time and even then the chances are that the timing is only coincidence and that both conditions are not related.

Get well! Please let me know if there's anything I can help with.
 jrdintrnj - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 pm

I have not had MRI as of yet. The steroid injections was just in my right hip area.

I am very concerned due to the numbness and pain, especially when my leg is very weak. so I guess the MRI is the next course of treatment?

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:18 am

User avatar Hello jrdintrnj,

Yes an MRI is the next step. This should help resolve what's causing this and put you on the road to successful therapy.

Please keep this thread updated.
 twiggy_nebraska - Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 pm

I have suffered these symptoms for about 3 years now...after approaching my physician he thought it was my lower lumbar strained. I decided to approach a neurologist who then said he couldn't help me because the bulged disks weren't the problem and refered me to a specialist. After visiting with this specialist and going through injections in the (sacroiliac) joint that connects the hip to the spine - have finally come to a diagnosis. I'm much younger so it wasn't something expected, but after doing a thorough history he said it's probably because I'm 5'11" and only 130 lbs and the physical work wasn't meant for my small frame.

Anyway; point is, they wish to fuse my hip to my spine because the strength in my left leg is weak at times (sometimes symptoms similar to drop foot), I get low back pains (which is originally what the thought was being they are so close to one another) and a cramp (charlie horse like) that radiates down the thigh to just above the knee and can also cause your foot to be numb/tingling and feel cold.

Being I'm only 34, I will wait until the last possible minute to have this procedure. They say women can get it from stress of deliveries as well, but my daughter is 11 and that's not the normal time frame for a birthing trauma like that.

Good luck and keep me informed as I'm thinking of you and hope the best outcome for your symptoms.
 yellow33 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:39 pm

For around 6 months I have suffered a pain which appears to be from the top of my femur to a couple of inches above my knee. It isn't a stabbing or sharp pain, just a dull ache, sometimes pulsating, that is really evident when I'm sitting down or in bed. If I sit down for a long time, I could possibly describe it as slightly burning towards my lower thigh. I would say it is on the outside/underside of my thigh when sitting and doesn't appear to be in the area suggested by meralgia parasthetica as far as I can tell. On a scale of one to ten, it's a steady 6, and I can cope with it although it is really annoying and debilitating. I'm just concerned about what is causing this as I understand that aortic aneurisms can cause odd leg pain - although I haven't been able to find out what kind of pain exactly

Although I'm 56 and a little overweight - perhaps 7%, I'm generally fit and healthy (still take the stairs two at a time and people assume I'm in my early to mid forties).
 axeaum - Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:33 am

I am 30 yrs old suffering from Left leg pain. Initially i had left lower back pain with left hip & thigh pain and i visited to the doctor to consult my problem, with some medication and exercise back pain has reduce(have negligible pain that is also not continuous) but Hip and thigh pain still there. Pain starts from one particular vain of hip(left side) to left thigh(outer side) and ends with calf, this pain is not continuous. I am worrying what it could be? If anybody help me with this i would be really grateful to them.

Thanks in Advance.
 InHealth - Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 am

I had low back pain where I was unable to walk or even stand up straight. The pain and then numbness went down and around the outside of my thigh up to my knee. I went to a chiropractor, and after taking digital X-rays and explaining all about nerve involvement and dermatomes, she started adjusting my low back. She used a special flexion-distraction table.
Within days I was able to stand and walk without my cane. Within weeks I was pain free and back to "normal"--and my hemorrhoids were gone too. So were my headaches.
WONDERFUL. Highly recommended.

|