Forum Name: Headaches

Question: MIGRAINE AND SUDDEN MEMORY LOSS

kloop32@gmail.com - Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:28 pm

I've been suffering from migraines for years. After treatment they went away for about 15 years. In the last 6 months they started coming back but they were very mild.

From saturday morning until monday morning i had a constant migraine but not painful enough to feel that i have to lie down all the time.

This morning my migraine got worst and by 1 in the afternoon it got really bad to the point that i started being sick ... From that point onwards i don't remember much ..

My son found me and he said that i couldn't remember what happened in the last few weeks. I got back from holiday on saturday but i couldn't remember it. He said that i started shouting and panicking and he had to call the ambulance. He said that he took me to the hospital and i still couldn't remember my holiday or what happened in the last week.

The doctor saw me and gave me strong painkillers and the migraine started fading out i started remembering again. I had blood exams and a brain scan at the hospital and it all came out fine. I'm at home now but i still feel a bit confused and my migraine has started to go away.

What do you think caused the memory loss ?

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:13 am

User avatar Hello,Your symptoms seem to fit in with Transient Global Amnesia, and there is compelling evidence that this occurs in some patients with history of migraine.These patients did not have significant headache or photophobia during attack.The clinical features are typical.Paroxysmal transient loss of memory with striking loss of immediate events.Old memories are retained.This generally resolves in a day or so.Generally it is a single event and recovery is a rule.It is postulated that that the migraine affecting the verebro- basilar blood vessels leads to these symptoms.Transient ischemic attacks and seizures form the differential diagnosis.

|