Question: Stabbing Pain Right Side, Back of Head

mayers05 - Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:43 am

Hello. This past week I started getting a stabbing pain on the back, right side of my head. It's stationary and always in the same location. About even with the top of my ear and around to the back as far as feels like the bone on the right side (up an index finger's length from base of skull). It has only been on the right side and the frequency has gone from a couple times a day to several times a day. It lasts for a few seconds and then disappears. It's not excrutiating as it only last a few seconds. I've tried taking (2-excedrin migraine, w/one tylenol); but it doesn't make a difference. Not sure if this is related, but back in 1997 I started having problems with elevation changes. When I descend in elevation there is a horrible (worst pain of my life) pain that encompasses my entire skull and feels like very sharp pains in several areas that start at the top of the skull and run down through my face, gums, teeth and through what feels like tendons in my neck; but no farther- feels like the head could explode because it's so painful. It usually lasts about 10 minutes, but occasionally 15-20 and nothing helps, just have to wait it out. Then is slowly starts backing off. This happens every time without fail. Do you have any suggestions for remedy either of these situations? Can I expect that they will go away without any problems. Is there anything that I can try on my own to see if it is something that I'm doing to cause the back of the head pain. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and the right side of my neck is showing signs of restricted movement; left side is fine from my non-medical perspective. Thanks so much for your time. Michelle
 sweetLou - Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Hey Michelle:
was surfing the web to get an idea of what I am also going through and come across the same title as yours.
I also get the same pain on the right side. Really started bothering me more this morning, it has been going on all day every half hour even woke up from deep sleep. I am thinking the worst here.
It feels more like someone is pulling the heck out of my hair that little spot and travels through to my ear and then gone in 2 minutes. I really hope this is not serious and just a cluster headache from what i was reading.
well just wanted to let you know that your not alone on this.
let me know what you find out,, same on this end
sweetLou
 Kate17 - Fri May 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi Michelle,
I have been experiencing the same stabbing pain in my head, in exactly the same spot that you describe. It feels like someone is stabbing a skewer or knitting needle into my head. I'm a bit worried. Can anyone help explain what this may be?
Tks
Kate
 pinkfairy - Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 am

i have the same pain. i'm having a problem getting a doctors appointment (?no health insurance...trying to get in to free clinics) did any of you figure out what yours was? it makes me very worried....
 Mha8649 - Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello Michelle, I have also been expierencing the same symptoms. It takes alot for me to goto the hospital but this was one that did the trick. I went and spend hours upon hours in the emergency room underwent 3 mri's 3 cat scans and 1 orbital (due to past injury). The doctors thought that I might have had a torn vein that goes to the brain and runs along the back side of the neck to the brain. They didn't find any evidence that I had any tears. They prescribed me with valium and blood thiners. Still don't know what the cause is and it's been over a week and still pain persist. So if you find anything else out please let me know.
 izzybear - Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

I had a similar problem two years ago. $20K at a hospital in NC couldn't tell me what was wrong (and I had no insurance, yikes!) Biggest problem was the very nice nurses/docs sent me home with a handful of prescriptions - and I try not to take medicines - which would basically make me, at best, sleepwalk through life!

The good news: I felt like part of my pain originated in my neck/shoulder area. So I went to see a chiropractor. Cause of that STABBING HOT FIRE PAIN in my head: a pinched nerve between the C-1/C-2. Also cured my allergies.

Make sure you have an X-ray, MRI/MRA to rule out aneurysms, stroke, tumors, etc. Then get to a chiropractor. You'll feel better immediately if that's what the problem is. AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO LIVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE! :)

|