Question: Soreness on both sides of lower back

mollymeow - Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Hello. I hope this is in the right place.

For the last 3 days, I've had horrible soreness on both sides of my lower back. The spots start about 2 inches from my spine, and are about fist-size. I've also felt a little bloated, but no other symptoms. I'm 24 and not taking any medication, if that helps.

I can't find anything about this online, and was hoping someone would have a suggestion of what I can try at home, as I absolutely cannot afford to go to the doctor, unless it is life-threatening.

Thank you in advance.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:37 am

User avatar Have you lifted anything heavier than normal in the days before your pain started? Does it hurt more bending over or to the side? Does the pain go down your buttocks or leg? You may have strained your back. Try sitting or lying down on a heating pad or taking a hot shower, heat is a natural muscle relaxer. Talk to your doctor about taking antiinflammatories for the pain.

Worst case, it could possibly be kidney pain. Do you possibly have a urinary tract infection? Do you have cloudy urine, some burning with urination or feel the need to urinate often? If it is a kidney infection, it's serious. If you have any of these symptoms, see a doctor today and if you can't, go to the ER.

|