Question: neurofibromatosis

tralala_girl - Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi. I am not the one who has neurofibromatosis. It's my former nanny, who had developed bumps all over her body when she was a teenager. The bumps are actually round sacs of different sizes, the diameter of the largest sacs would be 1.5 cms. None of her family members have this condition.
While she was working at my aunt's (at age 55), my aunt's kids were diagnosed with pulmonary complex. They suspected that my nanny has tubercolosis. However, when she had a chest x-ray, the result showed that she has nodular densities in both lung fields the largest of which measures about 3.5 cm in its wides diameter. The impression of the radiologist: 1) consider metastatuc malignancy both lung fields
2) atherosclerotic aorta
Her doctor said she had lung cancer.
However, when she subsequently had a whole abdominal sonogram, the result supposedly showed she has no lung cancer. QUESTION:Is a sonogram able to show whether a person has lung cancer or not?
When she also had a sputum test, the result showed she has no tuberculosis.
However, when one of the bumps on her toes got irritated due to chafing caused by foot wear, she had a histopathology and the diagnosis: consistent with neurofibromatosis with chronic inflammation and superficial erosion.
Questions: 1) When a person is afficted with NF, will a chest x-ray show the bumps? What I mean is, could NF be mistaken for lung cancer?
2) How would you interpret the result of the chest x-ray in relation to the histopathology diagnosis? Could her bumps be malignant tumors? Or could the nodular densities showed by her x-ray be actually just a symptom of NF?
3) What medical tests could be availed of to provide a correct diagnosis of her condition? What is the cheapest and most convenient (available in the Philippines) test?
4) If not malignant tumors, are there any danger presented to her health by her condition? (I'm sorry if it's a hypothetical question, I just want to ask all my questions at once so that I won't bother you again.) If any, what treatment is recommended? Which treatment is cheapest and convenient?
5) If malignant, would that mean that she has a cancer? What kind?
6) Are there any organizations which could help us understand her condition and perhaps even provide treatment?
My nanny is 65 years old. She has no work or savings or pension, she's an old maid. She lives with her sister who is a poor seamstress with many children. I can't help her financially because I'm still a student with no work also so thank you for entertaining my questions. I am sorry if I mistakenly posted my question in the inappropriate forum. I assumed that neurofibromatosis is a neurology question. I hope you would be able to help me understand my nanny's situation. I really appreciate any help.
 dms - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Such thought provoking questions! I can only answer one of them. I have NF. You can get more information by contacting The Children's Tumor Foundation, Inc. http://www.ctf.org formerly known as The National Neurofibromatosis Foundation. They changed the name last year in an attempt to appeal to more people to donate. Misleading? Perhaps, but it's working to find a cure, promote NF awareness and serve as an educational resource for NF families. It's doing something for all people with NF - regardless of age.

|