Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Should I have gone to the hospital?

turtletownmom - Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:49 pm

Friday morning I woke up with a severe throbbing headache. It lasted until this morning and I woke up to a severe sweat. I slept all day yesterday except for getting up to use the restroom. That was very hard because I was very unstable, and my head throbbed much harder. My right calf is very red and painful to touch. I thought I needed to go to the hospital but I knew I couldn't take myself so I just stayed in bed. I was worried about a brain hemorrage. Is this something I still should be worried about?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:36 pm

Yes, you must go to hospital immediately to exclude sinister causes of a painful calf swelling. In all cases of a calf sweling associated with redness, pain and tenderness, examination is mandatory to exclude deep vein thrombosis.. Get a friend to take you as it seems you cannot do so on your own.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|