News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: pain in scalp

future rn - Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:00 pm

My husband has been experiencing pain on the inside of his scalp. The pain is not constant and occurs mostly when he moves his head - the pain is on the inside of the right side of his scalp. If you press on the area it does not hurt - but if you brush lightly over his hair it is very painful (liike when he puts on his baseball cap). When we looked at his scalp, it was slightly indented in the painful area - don't know if it has always been this way. He has had the pain for about a week and about the same time he had a very bad toothache - could this be related? He is not on any medication, It is very weird - Thanks for your help - I hope I gave you enough info.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:16 am

Dear future rn,

Your husband is suffering from something called Temporal (Giant cell) arteritis. It's a systemic vasculitic diease(inflammation in the arterial vessels) ...Usually starts as you've described your husband's symptoms and it gets elicited by combing the hair. It affects the jaw as well in the form of claudications,sometimes associated by headaches,mailaise,fatigue ,visual disturbances,etc.

Temporal artery biopsy is the criterion standard for diagnosing temporal arteritis. This procedure may be performed by ophthalmologists, general surgeons, head and neck surgeons, plastic or vascular surgeons, or dermatologic surgeons. With a positive predictive value of greater than 90%, temporal artery biopsy stands out as the definitive test for temporal arteritis.

He will be treated as an autoimmune disease...and should be treated for as soon as possible after obtaining the biopsy result, because it can lead to damage of his temporal artery and progression of the disease into other atreries,hence it's a systemic vasculitis disease. But once he's under treatment ,he will be more comfortable and controlled. All he'll be needing is follow up as with any other simple diseases,

Best regards,
 worrier - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:38 am

Please help i have been suffering with anxiety for a year now. I am constantly worrying about my health. I have had a very tight scalp, constantly for the past week. Every so often i get the sensation of a rubber band snapping on my scalp?? It really scares me do you know what this is??? Also, the artery in front of my left ear is raised and i had a big twitch in it earlierfelt like blood bursting through too hard!!! Please let me know what you think this is?

Thank you :cry:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here