News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Seizures and Fainting When Drinking

stormyluv269 - Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:20 pm

:( :?:
Here's my question: I have a friend who is 29. Black male. Overall good health. About 2 years ago he was taken to the ER when he couldn't keep his tounge inside his mouth and was having trouble talking. They gave him a pill and it helped until the next night when it happened again and when he went to the ER this time they said it was caused by the pill they gave him. I don't know what the pill was and they never told why he was having the problem originally. After that, he has had a few episodes of passing out. Usually it is after either smoking weed, or after drinking. It's not always a lot of alcohol though. Sometimes 2 cans of beer. The past year he has also began having seizures. Again, only when drinking or smoking weed... not always in excess. This is usually accompanied with vomiting and him becoming flushed and sweaty. I am very concerned as to what may be causing this. He is not on any medications. He refuses to see a doctor and when it first happened and he fainted on the bathroom floor he refused the ambulance ride to the hospital. I was wondering what could possibly be causing this to happen. Could he have a brain tumor or an underlying disease? Please help me so I can help him!!!!! Thank you so much.
Amy Spitler
stormyluv269
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:47 am

User avatar Hi!

When you mentioned weed, did you mean plain tobacco or did it involve the use of marijuana? Even though marijuana abuse can cause postural hypotension (a cause for 'passing out') and marijuana-induced seizures have been described, some states in the US actually use marijuana for relief of nausea and vomiting. In other words, the vomiting that your friend has does not seem to co-relate with its use.

But we need to find out if your friend has any substance abuse before looking for brain tumors, and with his attitude towards self-care, I doubt if any help from our side would be welcome at all. A discussion with a psychiatrist would not be a bad idea, and narcotics anonymous is a group to look into in case substance abuse does exist.

I hope this helps.

- Bill
 stormyluv269 - Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:37 pm

Yeah... he smokes marajuana. Has for over 10 years. And this has just started to happen. I know he'd never get help on his own... but I just wanted to see if it was something being caused by his drug/alcohol habits or if it might have been something health related that couldn't be connected with the drinking and smoking weed. Thanks for your response. I can try and talk to him. I was concerned it could have been something that may have been killing him... like a tumor, or something mental. Thanks Again,
Amy Spitler
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:13 pm

User avatar Hi!

Kindly visit: http://www.na.org/ and seek help and support for your friend.

Warm regards,

- Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here