News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: NUMBNESS IN FINGER TIPS...

DENISE - Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:25 pm

I have some numbness in my finger tips.. and also feeling a little discomfort in my shoulders. I was wondering if it could be from the weight in my breast. Once in a while i get a sharp pain in the middle of my back.. I am only 5'2, weighing 140lbs, and bra size is 36DDD.. would this mean breast reduction?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:50 pm

User avatar Hi!

Female breast overgrowth or hypertrophy or macromastia is a condition of abnormal enlargement of the breast tissue in excess of the normal proportion. This condition may be caused by milk gland hypertrophy, excessive fatty tissue, or a combination of both. It varies in severity from mild (<300 g) to moderate (300-800 g) to severe (>800 g).

Macromastia can be unilateral (one sided) or bilateral (both) and can occur in combination with ptosis, a term used when the nipple has descended below the crease between the breast and the abdomen. Large breasts frequently develop during pubertal breast development but also occur after pregnancy, weight gain at any age, or menopause. Macromastia typically is caused by fat hypertrophy rather than glandular hypertrophy. Many females are destined genetically to have large breasts, which often is aggravated by pregnancy or weight gain.

Typically problems due to breast overgrowth include back pain, neck pain, breast pain, shoulder pain, embarrassment, difficulty with sports, and clothing limitations. Those with more ptotic breasts develop intertrigo (an inflammatory condition of skin folds, induced or aggravated by heat, moisture, maceration, friction, and lack of air circulation). Poor posture is common, and grooving of the shoulder from the force of the bra strap may occur. The patient may be overweight.

But being overweight should not affect the feelings of a person. One should always try to feel good about one's appearance, and set a realistic ideal weight goal for the body.

Based on your provided data, your Body Mass Index [BMI] is 25.6 kg/m2. Medical evidence suggests that all body weights within the range of 19 to 25 BMI are reasonably equally healthy. A reasonable ideal weight range for you would be 104 to 137 pounds.

The female breasts are a source for gender, beauty, health, and nourishment. Different people have different expectations on breasts, with some just dissatisfied with their shape, while others have legitimate symptoms.

A plastic surgeon would best help in deciding the right kind of management for your problem.

I hope this helps.

- Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here