Question: head problems

feelswierd18 - Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:53 pm

I am an 18yr old stress-free male. I can remember my issues started around the time the weather started to heat up down here in Florida, so around May. I started getting pressure-like headaches in my temples and would occasionally get lightheaded. This was quickly followed by a nearly week long cold. The lightheadedness was not disorienting or dizzying or vertigo-like in anyway, just a very spacey feeling. I would also feel slightly congested when I woke up. I also noticed that when I would worked out or rode in the car with my windows up, my ears would fill up like they needed to be popped. A few weeks went by and I visited my GP who prescribed Zithromax and Allegra. I finished off the Zithromax in about a week and it seemed to relieve alot of the pressure. I continued taking the Allegra which seemed to clean up alot of my morning groggy/slightly congested feel, but the lightheadedness persisted. It isn't constant, but it does hit about 2-3 times per day.

A few months went by and I continued to wait out the lightheadedness to see if it would go away. But to this day I occasionally feel like my head is filled with water and the lightheadedness kicks in. My head just hasn't felt like its old self since May. I eat regularly and keep myself hydrated, I've also had a blood test and a seperate thyroid test to see if there were any issues there. Checked out good. I should also mention that I have a pretty good overbite which my dentist mention I would either need braces or surgery for possibly one day to get my jaw back into alignment (I read jaw problems can sometimes cause problems like this since jaw-controlling muscles are near the temples) I also take a multi-vitamin with my morning meal.

So last week as I was on vacation, I started getting a pressure sensation like the sinuses behind my nose were under stress. When I rub those places for a minute, the pressure goes away but comes back moments later. When I lay down to watch TV or go to bed, my pressure and lightheadedness symptoms go away. I feel great in the morning when I wake up, but as the day presses on, the pressure and lightheadedness return. I will have good days, great days, and not so good days. It seems I am doing best when Im most relaxed (at the beach - symptom free, at home/at work - not symptom free)

Sorry for the long post, but what could be causing this to persist for nearly four months? Do these symptoms ring any bells? Chronic Sinus infection? Ear infection? Upper respiratory infection? I don't know. Although I will say I have never been in any sort of pain its always just been mild pressure or occasional lightheadness (never vertigo), i'm just tired of feeling like this!

Any suggestions?
 sunflower822 - Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:59 pm

It sounds like we suffer from the same symptoms......I am a healthy 27 year old female and I have been having "strange" episodes off and on for the past 3-4 years. At first, my symptoms did not occur frequently so I did not think too much about it. Lately, I have been having episodes weekly and don't know what is wrong with me.

My symptoms are as follow: "not really dizzy/not really lightheaded feeling" (very hard to describe...I just feel off and feel like I could tip over). I sometimes feel groggy, pressure in my forehead, between my eyes, and nose. I can have the "not really dizzy/or lightheaded" episodes with or without the frontal headaches. The lightheaded episodes can come on whenever and can last off/on all day. It is really discouraging because I am always wondering when the next one will hit.

I had a MRI/MRA and CAT scan with contrast and all tests were clear.
My Neurologist believes that I am having migraines.....but I am not so sure :(
 feelswierd18 - Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:34 am

Thanks for your comments. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
 feelswierd18 - Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:06 am

Sunflower,

Have the dizzy spells ever woken you up at night with the feeling of unease? If I get up for a minute and use the bathroom or rub my neck or something I can get back to sleep. I never really feel disoriented, the spells are hard to describe.
 sunflower822 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:17 am

feelswierd18,

No, my episodes never wake me during the night....I really notice the dizziness/lightheadiness/uneasyness when I am shopping, walking down the hall, or sitting here doing my work. The episodes "spurts" last a few seconds but continue for a good hour.

Friday night I actually went to the ER because I really felt DIFFERENT! I felt like I had major post nasal drip, my right ear was red and HOT, I felt out of it and my head felt full and I felt like I was going to faint. Very hard to describe. :( I tried lying down for awhile but did not feel better. My face color did not change. I didn't check my pulse but should have....

So, my sister took me to the ER and as I waited I started to feel better. I met with the dr. and they took all my vitals and drew blood for thyroid & enemia. No one knows what is wrong with me and it is becoming very discouraging!

|