News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Severe Pain and numbness in left arm

wacava - Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Hello,

I'm a 32 y/o female and for the past 7 days have been experiencing pain and numbness in my left arm. The pain is in my entire arm from the shoulder joint down and is worse in the elbow and finger joints. My whole hand becomes numb and tingling increases in my fingers. During the day, I have a slight aching in the joints and an overall weakness in the hand. At night, the pain becomes unbearable and I have been waking up every 45 minutes or so and have to sit up for almost an hour until the pain and numbness subside enough for me to lay back down. As soon as I lay down again, I feel my fingers tingling and the pain in the joints starting again.

I have an intermittent skip beat arrythmia and carpal tunnel in the right hand. I am unable to take NSAIDs because of the reaction they cause with my Colitis. I am overweight and have already lost 30 pounds in the last few months. My husband is military and is currently overseas and I have a 2 and 4 year so, I am under a great deal of stress.

I have been unable to see a doctor and the nurse practitioners have not been able to do anything but give me tylenol. I have Xrays of my shoulder scheduled for Monday.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
 wacava - Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:43 am

I found out that the xrays were all normal on the standard 3 views. Will probably be getting a consult for ortho today. Any ideas will still be greatly appreciated.
 SandieInSC - Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 am

Lately have you done any heaving lifting or repeatative motion with your arms?
Is your pain a burning sensation?

Do you have ~shooting pains~ (sharp pains) from your shoulder down to your forearm?

Any particular fingers going numb or loss of usage ?

Do your arms feel ~really heavy w/a burning sensation~ when you wake up?

Injury to the Neck done by heavy, repeatative motion can cause symptoms/pain in your arms withOUT your neck never hurting (believe me, I found out the hard way)

re: pinched nerves, herniated discs etc

Also, shoulder problems, within the rotary cuff, labrum, or any part of the shoulder can cause pain down the arms as well...

The above does cause ones sleep pattern to be interupted by pain,,

MRI's are expensive but provide the best results for deep rooted problems. X-rays don't ~catch~ everything.

If you think something is wrong, be persistant, also do a ~google search~ on your symptoms, there is a lot of information out there.

Always remember, ~An informed patient is a smart patient~

Good luck,,
Sandie In SC

wacava wrote:I found out that the xrays were all normal on the standard 3 views. Will probably be getting a consult for ortho today. Any ideas will still be greatly appreciated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here