Question: Doctor, please look at my MRI (cavernous orbital lesion)

Emak - Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:58 am

here's is some photo's I took of my supposed "Hemangioma" or "osseous lesion" on the MRI and CT films. I hope that a doctor will drop by this thread and take a look at these films also:

Click here!

The first 2 radiologists who made CT reports on me back in 2004 completely ignored the lesion (i had a very lowgrade pressure headache on laying horizontal beginning in about 2002)...

Beginning this May 2005 things got MUCH worse, very suddenly...
My symtoms are constant low to mid grade pressure headache for 5 months strait (not the most disturbing symptom, please read on..), often temporarily relieved greatly by applying pressure to frontal (forehead) sinuses; heavy headed feeling; fizzling sound in upper neck/occipital region when moving head; blurred sense of reality, and difficulty on concentrating especially focusing on moving objects; dizzy spells (sometimes constant on lying down), and continuous anxiety for absolutely no reason whatsoever (no history of such). 28 year old male with no history of medical problems. My doctors dismiss the idea that this is a problem after extensive blood testing is all negative, this is the only abnormality left in the picture. It appears to me that the left frontal lobe is being compromised (mashed down) by the lesion. See the MRI for yourself! Thank you so much.
 Emak - Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:48 pm

wow no replies for 8 days i had higher hopes for this forum =(
 Dr. R. Perala - Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi: Sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply. Most doctors are familiar with chest and skeletal radiology, but imaging of the brain is best left to neuroradiologists. What I can tell you, as a resident doctor in general medicine, is that this is *not* a brain tumor. It is clearly outside of the brain parenchyma. Furthermore, from my experience, it looks like it very well could be a hemangioma. Hemangiomas are benign proliferations of blood vessels. They most often occur on the skin as "birthmarks", but can occur in nearly any tissue. I've seen many hemangiomas in the liver, spleen and kidneys. Hemangiomas also occur in bones, nearly always in the skull or vertebrae. This is probably an osseous (bone) hemangioma. The vast majority of hemangiomas never cause symptoms and are just left alone. Many times, particularly with those involving the skin, they will involute and disappear spontaneously. However, hemangiomas may cause symptoms if they compress another structure or if one of the vessels bleeds (causing a hematoma which compresses nearby structures). Because you are experiencing symptoms that might be related to this lesion, you should see a neurologist. He will be able to determine if such a lesion could be causing your symptoms. He will also have your films read by a neuroradiologist, who can give you a definitive answer as to what this lesion is. If it is causing compression of any nearby structure, there are ways to remove a hemangioma without surgery.

Also, anxiety, headaches, difficulty concentrating and many other symptoms can be caused by the stress of having a tumor (even if it is benign!) found on a scan. People will worry that it may be malignant, mis-diagnosed, etc. Not to mention the stress of undergoing tests and scans. The neurologist and neuroradiologist will be able to ease your mind that this is a completely harmless lesion. And, if it is what's causing your symptoms, they will be able to treat it.

If you get a chance, please post a reply to let me know what you find out. Take care - Reid

|