Question: burning, pain in muscles, joints also

kt7373 - Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:47 am

Hi. Lately for the past two months I have been having really bad pain- pulling, tightening, and pain in my muscles. It began with tingling in my right arm and hand one night, and it hurt to put my elbow up on the table. Then within a few days my muscles in my arm hurt very bad, then it soon was in my left arm, and shortly then my legs too. It hurt to much to even move my arms so I took a week off of work, now I wear splints so I can get through the day, but I currently do pretty light duty, and then spend an hour or so on the computer. just that hour hurts a lot and burns a lot especially on the inside of my elbows and around there. My legs will hurt a lot, they will feel like the muscles are going to tear, and are sore, and burn. All of the sudden it will get extremely hot up and down my legs for a few minutes or until I sit down. My knees bother me on and off, elbows, wrists and ankles, neck and upper spine and near the shoulders on and off. the kness and upper spine and shoulder pain has been going on for at least a year or two, i didn't think much of it, but the muscle pain just started a few months ago. IT does not seem to be getting any better, I saw a neurologist and he said he wanted me to see someone about fibromyalgia? I am kind of familiar with fibromyalgia, is it even worth it for me to spend money on another doctor, i have no insurance, to be told i have fibromyalgia and just put me on an antidepressant or something which i won't take anyway. i do not beleive i have ms but i am not sure which route to take right now, i am getting very worried about my financial situation, but am also in transition, need to get a new job and I am very worried about having to type a good part of 8 hours a day when an hour hurts that much. i didn't get am MRI, my orthopedist wants me to, but the neurologist didn't seem to think it was that important at the moment, it would be another couple of thousand dollars that I don't have. I am supposed to be moving this week and need to find a job. I guess I am just wondering your opinion, I am afraid I will move, start a job and am not sure if things like this will get too painful to work even with splints. i had mentioned to the neurologist that i was bit by a tick three years ago, and had a blood test about a year after becuase i was having a lot of difficulty concentrating and my lips were going numb a lot and things like that, but the test was negative, and he said if it was negative then it was definite that i could not have lyme disease, not sure if that is correct. thanks for reading.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:05 pm

I can understand your concern over no affirmative DX. The best thing to do, of course, is to get a second opinion.

Let me tell you a little about Fibromyalgia. The best way to describe it is,"feels like a bad case of the flu that will not go away". It affects everyone differently, whle one person may have no difficulty with daily life, another may be completely debilitated. There is no cure, but there are meds to treat the many symptoms. Again not everyone will have all the symptoms. With this syndrome, it is important to get the deep Alpha sleep, that refreshes you, and it is difficult for most to achieve this.

The symptoms are quiet numerous, but if you contact your local Arthritis Foundation, they can direct you to a site that lists all of them.

As to the Lymes Disease, I think you would benefit from having a second test done, as this is often difficult to diagnose, and is often misdiagnosed.

Hope this helps you.

|