Question: Unequal Pupils + Headache

Fen - Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:44 am

Hi, I am really worried at the moment as I am sure you may tell from the topic, here are my symptoms.

my pupils are generally fine, but my left most of the time seems a tiny bit smaller than my right, but often in the morning, when I wake up, they are clearly unequal, they do react to light, but they are quite NOTICEABLY unequal, I have had my eyes checked by 2 opticians, who both say apart from being a little short sighted in my left eye, my eyes are healthy, and my doctor says I am not showing enough signs of neurological trauma to be sent to a neurologist, but I pushed and got an appointment by saying they really are unequal in the morning! (he said well if it was anything bad why only in the morning! but he refered me anyway) because of the fact I said they were unequal in the morning! I have been to 2 opticians and 2 doctors and every time I am there, my pupils are equal, and fine when they are checked, but in the morning, often they are REALLY not equal, for maybe 30 mins or an hour, I don't know if its because I have been lying down? or asleep! it is more noticable in dim light, in bright light they are both small and the difference is less noticable, but it IS there, please can somebody shed some light on this for me? I seem to have normal co-ordination, I can think OK (just about, the continuous stress and worry is really making me tired and a bit less sharp I think, but I basically seem OK I even played a gig with my band last evening) and balance seems fine, I only feel a bit unwell when I worry excessively about this, (which is pretty much all the time now) which makes me feel a bit like not eating, and mild nausea, when I am not worrying I don't feel noticably bad at all, I can catch and play football fine, I can train weights at the gym OK, with only a little agravation to my headache when I lift heavy, I have got a slight pressure/tension sensation in my head, intimitant, but that MAY be because of the fact I am worrying so much, but it does feel weird in there, sensations are very mild but they ARE there, I have been under some stress lately, I am worrying a GREAT deal about there being something wrong with my Brain.

Thanx VERY much for anybody who takes the time to reply with some advice.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:18 am

User avatar Hi Fen,
Pupils dilate and constrict depending on the amount of light entering the eye. This could very well be an explaination as to why this seems to be more apparent to you in the morning hours rather than any other time during the day. I would be much more concerned if you were having other neurological symptoms. However, it's wise to have this evaluated by a neurologist to identify is an anomaly is present.

|