News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Unequal Pupils + Headache

Fen - Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:44 am

Hi, I am really worried at the moment as I am sure you may tell from the topic, here are my symptoms.

my pupils are generally fine, but my left most of the time seems a tiny bit smaller than my right, but often in the morning, when I wake up, they are clearly unequal, they do react to light, but they are quite NOTICEABLY unequal, I have had my eyes checked by 2 opticians, who both say apart from being a little short sighted in my left eye, my eyes are healthy, and my doctor says I am not showing enough signs of neurological trauma to be sent to a neurologist, but I pushed and got an appointment by saying they really are unequal in the morning! (he said well if it was anything bad why only in the morning! but he refered me anyway) because of the fact I said they were unequal in the morning! I have been to 2 opticians and 2 doctors and every time I am there, my pupils are equal, and fine when they are checked, but in the morning, often they are REALLY not equal, for maybe 30 mins or an hour, I don't know if its because I have been lying down? or asleep! it is more noticable in dim light, in bright light they are both small and the difference is less noticable, but it IS there, please can somebody shed some light on this for me? I seem to have normal co-ordination, I can think OK (just about, the continuous stress and worry is really making me tired and a bit less sharp I think, but I basically seem OK I even played a gig with my band last evening) and balance seems fine, I only feel a bit unwell when I worry excessively about this, (which is pretty much all the time now) which makes me feel a bit like not eating, and mild nausea, when I am not worrying I don't feel noticably bad at all, I can catch and play football fine, I can train weights at the gym OK, with only a little agravation to my headache when I lift heavy, I have got a slight pressure/tension sensation in my head, intimitant, but that MAY be because of the fact I am worrying so much, but it does feel weird in there, sensations are very mild but they ARE there, I have been under some stress lately, I am worrying a GREAT deal about there being something wrong with my Brain.

Thanx VERY much for anybody who takes the time to reply with some advice.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:18 am

User avatar Hi Fen,
Pupils dilate and constrict depending on the amount of light entering the eye. This could very well be an explaination as to why this seems to be more apparent to you in the morning hours rather than any other time during the day. I would be much more concerned if you were having other neurological symptoms. However, it's wise to have this evaluated by a neurologist to identify is an anomaly is present.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here