Question: numb thigh

Joe Magic - Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:06 pm

the outside of my right thigh gets numb. It feels like around the edges of the numb area tingle, like when a "sleeping" muscle is reviving. The skin is not discolored. I do have a desk job, could sitting be blocking a small area of amuscle from getting the blood and cause just a portion of a muscle to "sleep"?
 barret82a1 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Joe,
It sounds as if you have Meralgia paresthetica. It is caused by compression of the lateral cutaneous nerve. Common causes are tight fitting clothes, toolbelts, obesity, or anything that can compress the nerve. The nerve is located about halfway between your hip and the front middle of you pelvis. You should be able to Google it for more info. The best treatment it to stop the compression.