Forum Name: Headaches

Question: light headedness & scalp tighness

dedo - Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:55 pm

how does one be brief when you want to give all the details of your problem?
My symptoms (light headedness & scalp tightness started 2 months ago by one episode. I was sitting at my computer and all of a sudden i felt like i was going to black out, but thank God i didn't. It scared me so i layed down and started to feel chest tightness and had many runs to the bathroon...retrospetivly looking back on episoide on I can now see i had some sort of panic attack from my adrenals kicking from being scared about this black out feeling. long story short...since the first couple of episodes the only symptoms that wont go away are light headedness and scalp tightness in the back, sides and back-top on my head. I've had MRI, CT, minor blood tests not a complet metobolic, Iron is normal yet the saturation % (transportation) was low 17 normal being 20 ish?
symptoms stays all day...sometimes worse than others... right before i go to bed it seems to want to get worse..? and if i try to excerise? I've tryed chroprator. CranioSacrio Therapy, accupressure, massage, exercise, resting, valium, (anti-aniexty meds wich made it worse). my fear is doctors giving up... before 2 months ago I was normal... im 50 peri-menapausal.... with estrogin dominance...(on bio-identical progesteron cream 2wks a mnth, hypothyroidism on synthroid,) Good Luck diagnosisng this one... but i am deperate to get my life back...afarid i will have to turn down a great job offer...can deal with these feelings... can you help..and suggestions to give my Neuoligist?
 radiodoc100 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:38 pm

Dear Dedo,
These are typical anxiety symptoms and common around the menopause. If you think about it, hormone replacement is very hit and miss, and does not, of itself, address the psychological symptoms that are so common at the menopause. If you ever suffered from irritability or weepiness premenstrually you will have no problem accepting that tiems of hormonal change disrupt the psyche! Around the menopause one's eostrogen and progesterone levels swing wildly, another reason why HRT has been shown not to help with the psyche symptoms.
The fact that you have had valium to no effect should not be a reason for you to doubt a diagnosis of anxiety (or possibly depression which is often a fellow traveller of ansiety). Both anxiety and depresion are now usually treated with the SSRI group of drugs, which are very effective and have been shown to be the best way of treating anxiety and depression during menopause.Of course, I would also hope that some therapy would be available. Therapy AND medication are always used together for anxiety and depression symptoms.
The trouble with anxiety is that it makes one doubt the diagnosis and the treatment. That's hard to address on line, and you need to see a doctor in person. Either a GP with an interest in psychiatry or a psychiatrist. This does not mean you are crazy!
How does one know that light headedness and scalp tightness are due to anxiety?
Its a presentation that we see very very frequently. I'm often asked that question, I usually reply that that is like asking "how do you know that is an elephant?".
Ask for referral to a good psychiatrist, or discuss with your doctor whether you suffer from an anxiety state or depression. These states are easy to diagnose, and treat.Its the very anxiety, however, that makes it difficult for you to accept the diagnosis. Good luck! Anxiety symptoms are awful things to suffer from.

|