Question: fainted when sitting down - what could this be?

EMD - Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:41 pm

i have had 2 episodes of passing out in 3 months. The first was durring a trip to the toilet, I did have a mild viral infection i believe and got up to go to the toilet, i had nearly finished urininating when i passed out (heard very loud ringing had a few seconds notice, felt hot, sweaty and felt sick and awoke slumped next to the wall. Took several hours to be back to normal. but about 4 mins to be reasnoble.

A few days ago I was in the car as a passenger for approx 20 mins waiting for driver. The driver came back to car with food and I had a bite of garlic bread. As i swallowed i felt a pain in my osophogus although the food continued down. And a wave of something similar to pins and needles came over body from bottom up. i had enough time to say i was going to pass out and pass me a drink. felt a wave come over me again like blood dropped out of body. as drink handed to me i poured it all over myself. the driver says my eyes rolled up as to see the whites, my head drooped, i stretched out my arms and shook slightly and made gurgling noise. only for 30 secs approx. then he held my head and tried shaking and slapping me gently to wake me up(he panicked). I rememeber starring at him but not responding as brain didnt think anything hard to explain. i didnt not recognise him i just wasnt thinking and he says i was starring at him vaccantly and he was shouting which i don't rememeber just looking at him. it was dark so seemd like tunnel vision. then hearing came back and me.
felt very confussed and slightly angry as i thought i was at home asleep and wondered why he was waking me up. rather rude i thought but then started to realise i was somewhere else. confussed and disorientated.he insisited i go to accident and emergency as he was very frightend. I felt a little drunk like and relaxed. i was laughing and saying it doesnt matter when really if i was normal i would say it did and would want to go. we were literally 5 mins away. after 10 mins they saw me and checked heart rate on finger monitor, glucose 6.7 blood pressure 130 over 84 and slighlty raised temp. I just wanted to leave so we went home when they said they werent overly concerned. next day i thought that wasnt right and i could have been driving so i went to doctors who are sending me to a nuerologist and told me not to drive or operate machinary. i have to wait for appointment. can you tell me what causes fainting when sitting down as i had eaten and didnt feel ill at all the second time and only mildly the first. as i cant find anything on internet and i am going on holiday and it scared me. thanks
 EMD - Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:30 am

EMD wrote:i have had 2 episodes of passing out in 3 months. The first was durring a trip to the toilet, I did have a mild viral infection i believe and got up to go to the toilet, i had nearly finished urininating when i passed out (heard very loud ringing had a few seconds notice, felt hot, sweaty and felt sick and awoke slumped next to the wall. Took several hours to be back to normal. but about 4 mins to be reasnoble.

|