Question: Sleep Troubles (Dreams Included)

PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:48 pm

Problem #1: I have a problem sleeping, it takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep even if i am tired I wake up very tired. I get billions of thoughts in my head while im trying to sleep
Is there a such thing as ADD before ur sleep or something...this is very annoying.

Problem #2: When i fall asleep, i get millions of dreams that seem very strong. I wake up feeling tired and a couple times i woke up with a huge headache. I've never gotten a good nights sleep except days i don't have to wake up early. Even then, i still could always use more sleep.

Any advice?
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:07 pm

Are you currently taking, or have recently taken, any medications? Are your days very stressful, carrying over into the night?

Relaxation techniques could be of benefit to you. Beware of beginning any sleep-enhancing medication as these can be addicting. Drinking alcohol can intensify dreaming and restlessness during sleep.

Just out of curiousity, is there something I missed that points this to a neurological problem? I am assuming the "ADD" question is probably what led you to this branch of medicine and I am not discounting your path. I am just afraid that I am missing something that could also be of importance that could help lead you to the correct branch of medicine.

Good luck and I'll check back for a response!
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:12 pm

im sorry, im not very educated in the health occupations fields
but i thought neurology or whatever was the study of the brain
and i thought sleep topics were apart of it im not sure
if you could redirect me

on your questions
i don't take any medications, drugs, or alcohol
i always had a conscience thing about medications and such and the liver or something
im not sure if i get easily stressed

im never angry, violent, or such
but i am a lazy person that hates work (who doesnt)
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 pm

im usually very tired throughout the day it seems, i recently became a coffee drinker to try cope with this problem because ive been known as the tired kid, i was thinking maybe it was depression, but i don't really know if i feel sadness often. When im with friends i feel at home and such. after a days work i come home waiting to sleep, but when i get to my destination, it takes forever to sleep
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Coffee could be causing your sleep difficulties if you are consuming it after 4:00pm. Caffeine effects can last for hours in some people. Try restricting your caffeine intake to the mornings, opting for milk or caffeine-free anything in the evenings. I don't know how effective it would be, but hopefully you can find some relief. Also, no exercise right before bed. White noise (AM radio tuned to no station) helps some people in sleeping. There are many options. Hopefully you can find something that works for you.

I wasn't doubting your choice of Neurology, but I knew I had to be missing something. I apologize for the question.

I'll see if I can find some other options to post tomorrow. Take care and thanks for getting me into the same arena as your thoughts. ;)

|