News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: wake up in the middle of the night with severe headache

motherof10 - Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:22 am

I'm being treated for high blood pressure, but isn't under good control. At night when I go to sleep, I wake up at different times (of course when I wake up I have to go to the bathroom) with a severe headache. When I go back to sleep it stops, or after I get up and move around, it stops.But needless to say, I don't get as much sleep as I need. I've also noticed that my heart beats faster at that time. My normal heart beats are about 95 beats per minute. Any idea what could cause this.
Thank you
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:04 pm

User avatar Hi!

First of all, I would wonder why your hypertension is not under control. If it is due to noncompliance with medications and lifestyle, I would allow you to focus your attention there. If not, has your doctor tried several combinations and doses of medicines to control your BP? If so, have you been evaluated for secondary causes of hypertension?

Hypertension can target several organs, two of which are the brain and the heart. Your headache could be the warning sign of how your hypertension is going to strike your brains. And your feeling of increased pulse after waking up in the night [palpitation] could be the warning sign of how your uncontrolled hypertension is going to strike your heart. In any case, it would be best to get yourself checked out for possible arrhythmia [disorder of rhythm of heart] or risk of cerebrovascular accidents [stroke/brain attack].

I hope I have been motivation enough to decide on the visit to your doctor.

Warm regards,

Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here